Storing gear for a year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello indo divers and Indo lovers.

Bill and Emily here. We are coming towards the end of our two years’ stay in Bali, and we will be gone for the better part of next year. We’re going to store a bunch of things in Singapore in an air-conditioned, but not exactly climate controlled storage space. It’s air-conditioned to 24°, but they make no warranty about the humidity.

Are there any suggestions about what we should not the store in such an environment? Booties? Wetsuits? Pony tank (with a little bit of pressurized air in it).? Fins, small stuff,…

Thanks in advance.

Big Beautiful Bill

Pack everything nicely in a tight **sealed** box and drop some of those little tablets that de-humidify the air, it should keep humidity out.
Regarding the wet suits, i think a wet suit cover (simillar to the ones that you get on tuxedo suits) would keep it safe, leave to hang so it wont wrinkle.

Anything that is soft rubber/plastic that can bend or de-form i try to hang , like my fins.

Your wetsuits will mildew. Guaranteed. I guess you could seal and pack them, but make sure they're absolutely dry before. Same with inside of bcd bladders. Disinfect and store with air inside. Odds aren't good at that temperature.

My best advice? Get a little plug, or wooden block or 1 cm slice of small PVC pipe, and wrap every second stage so that the purge button is a little depressed. This will lift the poppet off the orifice, so that you'll have the best chance of a reg that won't freeflow when you get back. No need to worry about the first stages, as long as they have been well soaked in fresh water and allowed to dry, so that there are no salt crystals sitting against the chrome or brass inside.

I live in Singapore and only use my gear once a year or once every 2 years. I keep them in a dive bag and forget about it until I next need it, of course I service my regulators before a trip. Its not in airconditioned and the dive bag is just stored under the stairs away from sunlight. Just make sure gear is dry so there no mould. Never had any problems.

My best advice? Get a little plug, or wooden block or 1 cm slice of small PVC pipe, and wrap every second stage so that the purge button is a little depressed. This will lift the poppet off the orifice, so that you'll have the best chance of a reg that won't freeflow when you get back.

@rsingler I have a question concerning this. What you suggest protects the seat. However having the purge button depressed for months means that the diaphragm will also be deformed for months. Can't that damage the diaphragm??
I mean by trying to protect a consumable (the seat is to be changed in every service and thus it is included in the service kit) you risk destroying the diaphragm that is not considered a consumable.
Thanks in advance for your replies

To the OP you might find this video informative:

Also air conditioning lowers humidity. If that storage room is air conditioned 24/7 and it is reasonably closed, humidity in there should be quite low (at least compared to the typical Singaporean wet-hell climate).

Back
Top Bottom