Storing a wetsuit wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All :)

just wondering if my wetsuit will be alright if I rinse it and store it in a bucket of fresh water. I use it pretty much every day, sometimes twice and it takes forever to dry.

minno

To be honest I'm not sure but would have thought it being constantly wet might age it prematurely. Having said that I'd be a happy chappy if I was diving everyday and would not be concerned about my wet suit. You are a lucky person.

Minno, are you turning it inside out when hanging it? Where do you hang it to try drying?

OK, I have a sinus cold at the moment but I do not see how storing in fresh water is going to help. Its like a multiday dive trip. Rinse at end of day and put on damp the next morning. Damp is better than soaking wet.

You could get a suit dryer. I normally dry in my garage and then store in the house since I dive every couple weeks and not every day. However, if it is damp cold weather the suit drier really speeds things up. I use the "Hangair". After a few hours on the hangair I turn inside out and then run it over night.

Of course things go best if the suit is not in a cold damp place while drying.

Neoprene needs to dry ...constantly immersed in water, it would be worthless in no time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't know if storing in water hurts it, but I doubt it helps. I do know I agree I'd rather put on a damp suit than a soaking wet suit. If I dove every day I'd be rigging up something that did dry the suit. If possible at least hanging it inside out should make the side next to you not too damp by the next day.

Particularly when traveling I will wash/rinse all my gear in the shower, hanging my suit inside out in the bathroom leaving the lights on and door closed. Just enough heat from the bulb in a small room to dry out a suit nicely for the next days dives.

OP---ever thought about buying(@ least)1 more???........That's what I'd do---have about 3 or more......

Thanks all :)

Guess it doesn't take as long as I thought :) I lay it on a towel on the counter in my laundry room with a 8 inch fan blowing in the neck with enough force that air comes out of the sleeves and ankles, after about 4 hours I turn it inside out and remove the towel and put it back on the fan till it's dry, usually 4 hours or so.

I suppose it would dry faster if I rigged a way to hang it up with the fan blowing in the neck?

Should be easy, have the fan blowing into the top of a 4 gallon pail with the bottom cut out and hang it from a hook in the ceiling, put a rod through the pail to hang the suit from so the neck is at just the right height to fit around the bottom of the bucket, a second bucket underneath to catch the drips, maybe glue a few clothespins to the bucket to hold the neck in place easy peasy :cool2: I'll post pics when I get it done.

I do plan on buying a two piece for spear fishing, the 3/2 I've got isn't near warm enough for diving in these waters, a chilly 10C (50F) perfect for swimming though

Thanks again

stay safe

minno

Back
Top Bottom