Storing a Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So what is the best way to store a Dry Suit? I've read several different ideas from folding and keeping in the bag to hanging upside down. So what has everyone found to be best? And do you leave outer zipper open or closed?

The best way to be sure is to check with the manufacturer's instructions as it seems that different suits are different. I've been told to store it loosely rolled in an airtight bag (once dry) to help keep the latex safe from any chemicals in the air. Store it somewhere room temperature away from furnaces, or water heaters (ozone is bad for the suit).

As for the zipper, I think that depends a lot on the manufacturer.

Once mine is dry I roll it up and store in a bag. I have the outer zipper closed to have the main zipper aligned and remove any potential stress that could be applied otherwise. The functionality of the outer zipper is not deteriorated whether it's closed or open so I rather have it closed. the main zipper is always open except when I dive

I leave mine hanging. They are draped over a closet rod with the zippers open...

Phil

Based on expense and fragility, the zipper is probably the most important consideration in how to store your drysuit.

The New Zipper Company, Ltd (who makes BDM drysuit zippers) has recommendations for care and storage.

sealed zipper care

They recommend storing with the zipper OPEN and, if rolled up, with the zipper on the OUTside of the roll.

Otherwise, drysuit latex seals are probably the next most expensive and fragile component. Reducing the latex seals' exposure to ozone will probably help extend their life. One easy way is to store the suit in a plastic bag.

Also, washing them with soap and water before storage is very helpful, followed by dusting with unscented talc (caveat: note my conflict of interest....). :wink:

I usually store my rolled up drysuit in a nylon gym bag, but in the winter, when there might be a few weeks between dives, I put it in a plastic bag. I just roll it face down, starting with the feet, so the zipper ends up on the outside of the roll.

Hanging the suit draped over a closet rod is fine. One thing I'd avoid is hanging it on shoulder hangers which might create stress points on the shoulder seams. At least that's the rumor I've heard.... :D

Dave C

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom