Storage on the go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, agree, although some you can just buy the enclosure and add your own hard drive on the cheap.

Looks like I have more research to do :) I have just a few dozen drives laying around (lots of IDE :( but a number of sata too), that might be a nice option for me to look into.

I guess my tech geek side sometimes assumes too much. Sure my system is "cobbled" but to me its simple and easy. I can see how the simplicity of "plug in card, press button and voila! files copied" can be really nice too.. But in my case I was also looking to see if I could use my phone to basically replace a laptop for that time, and a hard drive is really the only missing item for what I need a laptop to do. Otherwise I can get on social media, email, view the web, edit my website, edit images (and even edit video if I wanna be tortured) and upload them all on the phone. Plus I had the drives and enclosures laying around so I put them to use (yeah, standard size drives, not micros, but 1TB should be good and I have a few of them). Eventually I will do a blog post on my setup, with specific details, and a report on how it worked for me.

Probably wont be long till the prices on the backup devices starts to drop either..

I went through the exact same process about a yr ago.

What ever you do, dont bother with the WD ext Hdd that has a microsd slot for transfer. I tried it just doesnt work.

Also, keep in mind that files sizes are getting bigger. USB 3.0 is important.

I didnt have much luck w OTG cables and cells.

Laptops were just a bit big. If u want the best of both world, small, slim, light & powerful, expect to pay.

Professional photography Hdds are good but doesnt allow viewing or editing.

Two option that appealed to me were MS surface2 or 3, & Dell venue 11 Pro. Ended up buying Venue Pro 11 cus the price was right off ebay.

I liked it because of it is essentially a tablet laptop hybrid w the components that can be fully replaced for repair.

With a msdx slot and full size usb porr. Theres a lot of options & powerful enough for wares on the road.

Ex HDD also came a long way, silicon powers shock proof, waterproof hdd is quite cheap now. These tablet hybrid are able to power them. U can add a usb bus for more components.

Tech stuff changes rapidly. If anyone got some better ideas, lets hear it. Blackfriday is coming up.

I have a Go Pro Hero 4 and am looking to the best way to store videos when traveling (in remote areas) for several weeks WITHOUT a PC.
Solutions would be for example:
- Take one SD card per day!!
- Download to Ipad and then to iCloud or Dropbox
- or ??

My criteria are:
- Very easy to do
- Minimum amount of additional equipment
- Reliable

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Simple, bring a Mac :p

I carry my MacBook Air in my personal carryon, along with a 1T SSD Raid 1 USB3.

This last trip over 18 dives I amassed a 140GB of 2.7K/60f files (400+ files). I don't notice the laptop or SSD in my backpack (weight, size). Just need a power bar to plug in the drive and computer.

I can then grab some screenshots and quickly edit them in LightRoom, do some quick edits for fellow travellers, share files, etc.

Without any kind of hardware, you will not have any backups of your data, and those cards are easy to loose!

I'd visit your local professional camera store and chat with them about your options and their opinions.

BRad

Back
Top Bottom