Stingray city in caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a trip to the Caymans and I did the Stingray City dive with Red Sail. I would recommend doing the dive as there is sooo many people snorkeling at the sandbar. We were nearby one morning inbetween dives on the north wall and there must have been at least a dozen boats, some packed with people from the cruise ships. Red Sail goes out in the afternoon, and when I was at the dive site, there was only one other boat. Being underwater, you experience the stingray's swimming around you. My wife and two friends came on the dive boat to snorkel the dive site which I would recommend over the sandbar if you only snorkel. Much less crowded and less touristy. Our dive master brought up one of the sting rays to the snorklers. I would recommend Red Sail.

We did the stingray city dive last year. I don't remember which operator we used. The conditions were not ideal - the seas were a little rough and there was a strong current on the bottom, so we had to dig into the sand to stay in place. That said, the interactions with the stingrays were amazing. I think we saw more behaviors by diving than we would have if we had snorkeled. We were able to watch the rays swim around and on top of us and the guides. We also got to swim around the reef a little, and we saw psycho the green moray but he stayed in a nook in the reef. Definitely take an underwater camera and videocamera if you can, because the pictures and videos of the rays swimming around turn out really well.

EDIT - another comment - on the dive, there were only 6 of us, compared to the dozens of people that are on the typical snorkel trips.

We also dove with Wall to Wall during that trip and thought they did a good job. We also had a good time snorkeling right off of the beach at our hotel. I can't remember which hotel, but it is on 7 mile beach.

Last edited:
We did the Stingray City dive with Sunset Divers last Sunday (1 Aug). They operate the dive using a boat they've got at Harbour House Marina at the south end of North Sound, getting you there by van.

There was only one other boat within sight, and that was far enough away that we didn't see the divers/snorkelers.

Only two stingrays showed up, but that was plenty. They do allow divers to feed the stingrays; they bring a box of frozen squid that they hand out, explaining how to keep your hand tightly closed so the swarming fish (sergeant majors, jacks) don't steal the squid.

When a stingray comes up, they stress to keep your hand flat, like you were feeding a horse. Those guys have terrific mouth suction. I forgot about the flat-hand part once, and one of them sucked in and bit my little finger. :shocked2: Didn't break the skin, but it was exciting.

Other than the bite, stingrays feel amazing... soft as chamois on their belly, and kind of soft/rough on top.

The huge moray was there too; one of the guides had his hands busy keeping him/her away from us with the stingrays.

Not cheap, but well worth it for the experience.

The only people allowed to feed the stingrays are the DM on the trip. This was a new rule bought in after the death of the crocodile hunter. The idea being to limit accidents were possible and put some sensible rules in place to protect everyone. This rule is only policed by the dive masters that take you to Stingray City so I am sure not everyone follows the rule. However this in no way detracts from this stunning shallow dive.

There are two Stingray city sites. The "Deep"site (12ft) is a great dive and has lots of fish, coral and of course the eel. You can snorkel or dive this site and have an amazing time. The second place is stingray sand bar. This is a shallow sand bar located about four miles from the dive site. It is a very different experience. You are in waist deep water with stingrays every where. I would suggest doing both they are totally unforgettable and a cayman must do.

I am biased but would suggest Living The Dream Divers. Check out the web site and see if we fit what you are looking for. We offer a unique stingray bonanza trip that visits both sites in one unforgettable afternoon. I promise you won't be disappointed! Check out our facebook page for pictures of our latest trip.

Happy diving.

The only people allowed to feed the stingrays are the DM on the trip. This was a new rule bought in after the death of the crocodile hunter.

With all respect, is that an actual law? Or just a rule that dive ops agreed to, to protect us from ourselves after CH's antics finally caught up with him?

However this in no way detracts from this stunning shallow dive.

Feeding them yourself demonstrates the tremendous mouth suction that stingrays have and use to feed. Getting nipped in the finger by one was my own fault, and was an education too regarding what they have for teeth.

Last edited:
I was at Stingray City 2 weeks ago, and we were allowed to feed the singrays.

Yes, it is an official law. Not sure why i would have mentioned it other wise, with all due respect :)

A full list of Marine Park Laws are available on line at either the DOE or CI Gov web sites.

If you being bitten is the education you need then i am sure you can put your hand in their mouth with out food? Seen it many times :)

Yes, it is an official law. Not sure why i would have mentioned it other wise, with all due respect :)

A full list of Marine Park Laws are available on line at either the DOE or CI Gov web sites.

Look, I'm not breaking your chops. I'm just curious whether so many dive operators are breaking the law.

I see new regulations were enacted in 2006, with no mention of a feeding prohibition:
Cayman Islands - Cay Compass News Online - Stingray regulations outlined

According to DOE,
http://www.doe.ky/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/marine-parks-january-2008.pdf
fish feeding is indeed prohibited ouside of Wildlife Interaction Zones. No more feeding of fish with Cheez-Whiz at Aquarium Reef like 20 years ago. :shocked2: But I assume Stingray City falls into the Wildlife Interaction Zone at the top of North Sound; DOE states that the rule there is "No feeding any marine life with food of any kind or amount other than that approved by the Marine Conservation Board." I hope that the single package of frozen squid our boat had fell within those guidelines.

Oh and did I say???? Watch out for a stingray hickie! I was lucky enough to get one and as the weeks went on my arm got more and more colorful.. Made for a great story as of course nobody believed that was what happened to me.
It was pretty funny if I must say so but it scared the ..... out of me when he did it.
And I never touched my hand to anything on arm. Glad I had on a thin lycra or else it would have broken the skin....
The DM said that would be the only thing we would bring home free from the Caymans!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom