Stinger strap failures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are people's experience with the original rubber strap on the Stinger?

After having my trusty stainless steel Stinger stolen a few months ago, I got a D3 to replace it, but my girlfriend who had heard me cry(:wink:) over my old Stinger just got me a Ti Stinger for my birthday!

I had a Waterborne-like strap on my old Stinger from almost the beginning, but after using the rubber strap on the D3 for a few months I like that the elasticity in the rubber helps keep the instrument in place, whereas with the fabric strap it would often rotate out of place. So I'm thinking about keeping the rubber strap, although I'm a little worried about a pin failure. (Besides it being a present from my lady, it is $$$$$$ even after being heavily discounted.)

So, how many of you had a pin fail on the Stinger? (People who rough it up reaching into holes for lobster don't count.) How many of you have had no problems with the original rubber/stainless steel/titanium straps?

I used the stainless strap for over 2 years with no problem and I now have the rubber one on it for the last year and 1/2 without a problem.Hope this helps.

I've had my stainless steel strap pop off 3 times now, I've been EXTREMELY lucky it's been right before getting in the water... I'm now looking for another solution...maybe one of those waterborne straps (or any Nylon). Anyone know where I can get the right one, with PROPER fitting pins? I don't want this thing to pop off underwater next!

What are people's experience with the original rubber strap on the Stinger?

So, how many of you had a pin fail on the Stinger? (People who rough it up reaching into holes for lobster don't count.) How many of you have had no problems with the original rubber/stainless steel/titanium straps?

I've got two Stingers. One in stainless steel, another in titanium. I'm not sure which pin you're interested in (those connecting the straps to the computer, or the one holding the straps together), but the only problem I've had with the original rubber strap is the rubber loops holding down the strap breaks at some point. Since there's two tandem loops, one failing won't do harm, but with two gone, you can lose your computer underwater.

The stainless steel model got two new o-rings in place of the broken rubber loops.
I bought a titanium strap for the titanium model.

As for the titanium strap, the latch holding down the buckle tends to get loose, but I just pinch it tighter to fix it.

I replaced the rubber strap on my Stainless Stinger as soon as I bought it, and have had no issues at all with the Waterbourne strap I've used on it since. I recently picked up a titanium Stinger (with titanium strap), but have not dived it yet. I have had a rubber strap on my Citizen Hyper Aqualand, that is always pushing my watch around to the bottom of my wrist. I plan on replacing that strap with another Waterbourne strap to see if it keeps the Citizen at a better position on my wrist.

I had my Stinger for some three-and-a-half years, and used it for all that time on the original rubber strap. One of the retainers split off after a year or so, and I just nicked one of my wife's black hair elastics to hold it in place - and used it like that till I came to sell it, when I had a new strap put on.

That three-and-a-half years it was my permanent watch, for on land and in the water, and it clocked up some 1,000 plus dives. Never had any problems at all.

Now my D6, different story, the strap split on that one after just six months. I've now got a titanium strap D9.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom