Still Shots With GoPro 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dauntless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
GOPR0007.jpgGOPR0009.jpgGOPR0011.jpgGOPR0015.jpg

GoPro3 Black stills at 7 MP med SRP Tray and SRP 10X macro lens with SRP Naked holder and 120 degr Video light

Nice!

Are you using the screen on the back of the GoPro, or just best guessing?

Also, are you using the shutter button for each image? Or are you using a time lapse mode and just picking out the "keepers"?

Thanks for sharing,
Kevin

The LED back is a waste of $ and battery time. When you are that close you can't miss and when farther away, the SRP tray width to handle height is in a 16:9 aspect ratio so it is a rather good view finder, just line up the shot between the handles and fire away. I used single shutter button mode and each shot is taken individually. I was mostly experimenting with the video light as a light source for stills, seemed to work rather well. It is definitely not guessing, you aim by instinct. Just take your camera around the house and point and shoot at things, review the video until you get the hang of it. :)

Another advantage of looking around the camera to point is you see the subject and can better see the best time to fire the shutter rather than looking at an LED with poorer resolution than your eyesight

Just got an SRP to mount my silver on as well. Have yet to use it, but am curious about the necessity of the LCD. Dauntless, is going without as sure a deal as you say (on both video and still mode)? I'd be interested in saving the battery life.

Just got an SRP to mount my silver on as well. Have yet to use it, but am curious about the necessity of the LCD. Dauntless, is going without as sure a deal as you say (on both video and still mode)? I'd be interested in saving the battery life.

Never tried the LED back, never felt the need, I found with video cameras with LED before, I got better centering by sighting around the camera than by looking at the LED display. Maybe it's just me. Also, I know someone that recently flooded their GP 3 Blk using the LED and LED back :( Simple is sometimes better but it takes a strong mind to accept that your instinct is accurate

For framing closer shots I think the LCD is essential. I have variated results on stills. Only tried manual shutter and some of the pics are blurry, some not.
Maybe timelapse mode is a good idea ex. 2 sec. settings to get fewer blurry shots..

I never take my LCD anymore
I shoot 2.7k video then move it around in a 1080 frame for centering
So far I have found that stills from video are nicer than pictures. But those are! Exceptional for a go pro. Nice job

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

The LED back is a waste of $ and battery time.
Nice Job!
IMO, I believe the LED back is a decent tool. I have found that I can get plenty of battery time for an hour + dive as long as I don't leave it filming the whole dive.

For framing closer shots I think the LCD is essential. I have variated results on stills. Only tried manual shutter and some of the pics are blurry, some not.
Maybe timelapse mode is a good idea ex. 2 sec. settings to get fewer blurry shots..

Learn to let the force guide your shot

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 03:27 AM ----------

Why didn't you go with the higher MP setting?

Good observation I found the higher MP takes longer to acquire an image (like a slower shutter speed) and not as crisp on moving objects i.e. fish

Back
Top Bottom