Still having problems equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Samson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
A few years ago I took a basic open water cert course and all was going well until we dove to pool depth. Past a certain depth, my ears would hurt. It was a dull, aching pain that only got worse as I went deeper. I tried ascending, equalizing, etc. but nothing helped and I had to leave the class.

A few years went by and, still wanting to learn to dive, I found an instructor that was willing to work with me one on one to see if I could equalize properly before going back to an actual course. Unfortunately, the same problem happened and past roughly 6' of water, I got the same pain in my ears and didn't descend further.

I told him that upon ascending, I'm hearing my ears crackle/pop and open up and he told me that that means that I am equalizing going down but honestly, I'm not feeling anything as I descend in terms of equalizing.

On land I can just swallow and move my jaw a bit and my ears pop and open up with ease. I don't feel any of that when I'm underwater. I just feel a gradual pain that begins to build past a certain depth and only gets worse as I keep going down and nothing I do with my nose or mouth produces any sort of click or pop or opening feeling like I do on land.

I'm confused now and have no idea how to approach this. Any suggestions?

On land I can just swallow and move my jaw a bit and my ears pop and open up with ease. I don't feel any of that when I'm underwater.
I am the same way, and I have to pinch my nose underwater.

Engaging your diaphragm to lightly pressurize your ears is arguably the easiest to explain (aka the Valsalva technique). When you feel the pop, stop blowing. Unfortunately, some might blow too hard, and there are several other approaches (still with a pinched nose) that are not as stressful. Again, though, if you feel more than a light pressure, you just need to clear sooner.

If you can equalize on land by moving your jaw, you should be able to do it under water. But the way you do it may be different. For example, on land I would move my jaw down and back. But when I was divin, I couldn't do that or my 2nd stage would drop out of my mouth. So I was stuck using the Valsalva Maneuver, which I hated. Eventually I figured out I could move my jaw slightly forward and keep my teeth on the mouthpiece and equalize that way.

One thing you mention is not hearing the "pop" like you do on land. I don't either. But I know it's working because I can "feel" it work and I don't have any pain. I start working my jaw as soon as I start my descent and continue as I get deeper. Perhaps you are not started early enough. 6 feet is usually where you'll start feeling pressure if you aren't already using some method for equalization.

I hope you get it figured out so you can get your certification.

@inquis @GreggS I'm clicking and popping my ears before I even got into the pool but that seemed like it didn't make a difference.

I kept equalizing on the way down to 6 feet but I literally felt nothing going on in my ears until I reached roughly 6 feet and that is when the pain starts. Nothing prior occurs despite me swallowing, moving my jaw, pinching/blowing my nose so I'm completely confused as to what is going on.

I hear my ears open up and pop on the way up but nothing happens on the way down.

I kept equalizing on the way down to 6 feet but I literally felt nothing going on in my ears
On the surface do you feel/hear a change when you stop blowing? (I know I do.) If so, then do not descend further until you hear both noises -- the change when you blow and the change when you stop blowing. Do it every foot until you get this worked out.

I also have very, very bad ears. Valsalva, Frensel, jaw wiggling, none of these do much for me underwater. (I have even had several times descending on airplanes where it really wasn't working.) I still really enjoy diving. For me personally, it takes rotating my head so that each ear is facing toward the surface. I look like a ticking clock. And of course, very slow descents and ascending if I can feel that it's not working. Sometimes it does take me 20 minutes to get down, other times only a couple, which can be frustrating, but it's impossible to rush it. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Your instructor is right that if you get crackles when you ascend, you are at least partially equalizing. But probably only partially. You really don't want to be in pain, that is a warning sign you should not ignore. Permanent hearing loss, even underwater vertigo leading to death, you really don't want to go there. You'll get better, and it is true that the first 5 m / 15 ft. are the worst. Below 10 m you'll barely feel it.

If you can equalize on land by moving your jaw, you should be able to do it under water. But the way you do it may be different. For example, on land I would move my jaw down and back. But when I was divin, I couldn't do that or my 2nd stage would drop out of my mouth. So I was stuck using the Valsalva Maneuver, which I hated. Eventually I figured out I could move my jaw slightly forward and keep my teeth on the mouthpiece and equalize that way.

One thing you mention is not hearing the "pop" like you do on land. I don't either. But I know it's working because I can "feel" it work and I don't have any pain. I start working my jaw as soon as I start my descent and continue as I get deeper. Perhaps you are not started early enough. 6 feet is usually where you'll start feeling pressure if you aren't already using some method for equalization.

I hope you get it figured out so you can get your certification.

I had the same problem - can equalize on Land by moving my jaw. Had the regulator Fall out in the water because I had to open my mouth to far. For me it works best to pinch my nose and then push my jaw slightly forward. Sometimes when this is not enough I blow very slightly in addition, but not directly in to my nose like valsalva but more like blowing my cheeks up!
I actually learned "my style" while I tried to learn the frenzel maneuver after the regulator-fall-out incident... Valsalva never really worked for me. Always had the feeling I need to blow to strong.
There are some more techniques you can try.
Maybe this link helps: https://dan.org/health-medicine/hea...e-like-a-pro/6-methods-to-equalize-your-ears/

As already mentioned as important as the technique is to start early and equalize often while descending.

@inquis @GreggS I'm clicking and popping my ears before I even got into the pool but that seemed like it didn't make a difference.

I kept equalizing on the way down to 6 feet but I literally felt nothing going on in my ears until I reached roughly 6 feet and that is when the pain starts. Nothing prior occurs despite me swallowing, moving my jaw, pinching/blowing my nose so I'm completely confused as to what is going on.

I hear my ears open up and pop on the way up but nothing happens on the way down.
I really hate that you're having such a problem equalizing. Wish I had more to tell you that would help you out. Jus keep working at it, trying different methods, ad hopefully it won't take too long to figure out a good, easy way that works for you.

I had the same problem - can equalize on Land by moving my jaw. Had the regulator Fall out in the water because I had to open my mouth to far. For me it works best to pinch my nose and then push my jaw slightly forward. Sometimes when this is not enough I blow very slightly in addition, but not directly in to my nose like valsalva but more like blowing my cheeks up!
I actually learned "my style" while I tried to learn the frenzel maneuver after the regulator-fall-out incident... Valsalva never really worked for me. Always had the feeling I need to blow to strong.
There are some more techniques you can try.
Maybe this link helps: 6 Methods to Equalize Your Ears

As already mentioned as important as the technique is to start early and equalize often while descending.
I hated the Valsalva maneuver. I would sometimes have to blow so hard that when it would finally equalize it would hurt. When I learned how to do it with my jaw, oh happy day. I've not had to touch my nose since. In fact, some of my dive buddies are amazed at how quickly I can descend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom