Stiletto vs Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After doing some research and talking with our LDS we ordered a Stiletto. Everything we'd been told lead us to believe it was going to be lighter and more compact then our Ranger. It is more compact, but we put the Stilleto and the Ranger on the scale last night and they both weighed exactly the same. What's up with that? Both were size Large (although the Stiletto was a bit too snug while the Ranger fits perfect). So the Stiletto really isn't lighter then the Ranger?

ScottZeagle:
I just walked out to the factory and weighed the same two BCs on our scale...

Stiletto = 7.0 lbs

Ranger = 8.3 lbs

:confused:

Thanks Scott. I did some searching online this morning and Divers Direct has the Stiletto listed at 7.5lbs. Our home scale had both weighing in at 8 lbs. So it is bit lighter but nothing that's going to make or break the baggage weight.

Any ideas why the LG Ranger and Stiletto are not fitting the same?

He really loves the Ranger and the only reason for getting the Stiletto was to try and cut down a the travel weight. Would the Escape be a better choice?

The cumerbund is very adjustable. Are you sure the Stiletto is set the same?

rakkis:
The cumerbund is very adjustable. Are you sure the Stiletto is set the same?

The Stiletto is tight around the ribs, around the under arm and at the hips. We adjusted everything as much as we could.

The weight difference is no real benefit but it is more compact then the Ranger. Just expected the LG Stiletto to fit since that's the size Ranger he's had for a few years and it fits great.

The waist panels are adjustable on both BCs. They normally ship from the factory in the smallest position, with the waist panels set all the way towards the back of the vest. Is it possible that his Ranger panels were moved forward at some point? That would account for more room around the underarm and ribs, as the shoulder strap is connected to the waist panel, and moves forward as they are adjusted outward.

Are you following me?

I went and double checked the pattern, and as far as the size goes, both are exactly the same length, the Stiletto is just cut more narrow.

As I have said many times, trying to help on sizing is the hardest thing to do when you are working online or over the phone! Did you buy it locally, and if so, have you had your dealer take a look at it?

Scott

Thanks for the quick replies, Scott! Yes, we deal with a local LDS who is a Zeagle dealer. I'll try again tonight on the adjustments and if not, then we'll head back to the shop this weekend.

With my Zeagle Scout I don't have any of these issues. You can't get much more light weight and simple then that. The LDS got it for me with weight pockets on the side instead of just on the tank. I love it.

Sometimes a BC will have another size shoulder, smaller or larger then the pack itself.

Dealers switch the panels if they need to fit someone out of the norm.

They are individually marked, so you can check to see if each part is the same.

Chad

The Stiletto comes with a support pad in the back, while the Ranger does not. This could account for a different feel than the Ranger.

Adjusting the waist panel will adjust the fit, but the BC with the pad may still have a little different feel to it without a suit on.

A Ranger BC has an optional pad (item 7275F) which can be purchased for it.

Jeff

NE Rep:
The Stiletto comes with a support pad in the back, while the Ranger does not. This could account for a different feel than the Ranger.

Adjusting the waist panel will adjust the fit, but the BC with the pad may still have a little different feel to it without a suit on.

A Ranger BC has an optional pad (item 7275F) which can be purchased for it.

Jeff

Welcome to Scubaboard Jeff, I'll see you soon in Orlando!

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom