Stiletto Inflation Assembly needs repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Videodude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Scott:

I have had a Stiletto BC for 2 years now (maybe 3?) and it has been a real workhorse for me. Recently I began having trouble with the inflator button sticking and causing the BC to self inflate. The BC gets regular service especially because of the amount of diving I do. The dealer I purchased from (American Scuba Divers in Pompano Beach, FL) has closed up and I have no local dealer (that I can find anyway) to repair this assembly. The shop that I independently teach for put a generic inflator assembly on it so I can at least use the BC, but I would like to get the original assembly repaired anyway. I really can't afford to be without the BC since I teach, do DM work and shoot Underwater Video for a living, so what are my options?

Thanks!

No biggie.
Needs to be cleaned and serviced correctly.
You just send out the inflator.
Keep diving the temporary inflator while its being fixed.
PM Sent

To prevent this happening in the future. When rinsing your gear, put about a 1/2 gallon of fresh water into the bladder slosh it around, now here's the important part: the first 10 seconds of dumping the water out should be done by pressing the power inflator button allowing water to actually pass thru the power inflation system and out the LPI nipple. I used to see a lot of sticky inflators on my rental gear until I started making all my student do this after every dive. Haven't seen a sticky inflator since.

Very easy to take apart and clean yourself, and you can also order this nifty gadget from DSS which makes it a real snap and will let you go longer between cleanings. I keep trying to get my buddies to rinse out their drysuit inflator with it, while the suit is still on of course...

Heheh.

The salt on mine always built up around the button - once the valve and spring are out, you'll be able to tell real quick if that's where the problem lies. Nothing an allen wrench and a warm bath won't fix =)

-B

I had the same problem. You can get a replacement Zeagle inflator from Zeagle Express. But for the same money, upgrade to the BX inflator which makes it much easier to rinse out your BC. I just bought one and it's great. Zeagle Express*POWER INFLATORS Remote Exhaust valve Replacement Corrugated BCD hose Standard Power Inflator Bx Power Inflator Complete Inflator Assemby

Personally I think the BX inflator is one of the only bad Ideas ever to come out of Zeagle. Rinsing the bladder has never been a big problem, and the ability to remove the inflator to rinse the BC makes it more likely that the inflator itself will not get rinsed at all.

Just dissamble it and clean it. There is an allen wrench socket across from the inflate button. Remove the assembly and either replace it ($5ish from Scubatoys) or simply soak it in a little white vinegar and water for a few minutes, rinse in fresh water, lube the Orings and reinstall. It's not likely it will be so bad you can't clean it. If the schrader valve is bad, you can get one from a tire shop or it's likely your LDS has one, they are used in several scuba applications. The removal tool can be found in the tire section of most any dept store or auto supply house. It's doubtful but you might also need to remove the inflate button.

Back
Top Bottom