Stiffness index???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herculino

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to everyone.

When I have to change the webbing of a harness I always face the same trouble, which one to choose. I have Hogarthian continuous piece ones and also Trans Pack like ones, the stiffness I like for them is different, I like a really stiff webbing for the first and much softer one for the second, and I can even prefer a softer one in the upper part of the TransPack than in the lower part. Of course for the crotch strap I want the softer one.

As I cannot buy this items locally (no shop to go) I do need to buy them online. So I cannot touch it and choose the one I like more. There is not an stiffness index so you have no reference about how stiff a webbing is. Is a trial and error process.

Thinking about this trouble, I got and idea... what if everyone who already KNOWS which webbing is stiffer or softer just share this with the rest? this way I can build a list, form the softer one to the stiffer one, of the webbing that is available on the net. If you already know one you can figure up how stiff are the rest (more or less).

I'll start the list with the two I have at home and add the info I've collect form the forum and other online places.

1.- Dive Rite (I got mine from DGX on 2012)
2.- OMS (I got mine form OMSCloseouts in 2010)
3.-Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS)
4.- Halcyon
5.-DiveGearExpress (DGX)
6.- NortheastScubaSupply (NESS)(50mm)
7.- Piranhna (51mm/2")

Other ones to be placed in order: DRIS (DiveRightInScuba), DSS(DeepSeaSupply), HOG, Hollis, NortheastScubaSupply (NESS), ReefScuba...
I appreciate all comments.
According to specifications on the web, ReefScuba and Piranhna webbing are identical???? Anybody could confirm?

Best regards form Zaragoza.

Last edited:
Hi Lucca,

It's nice to meet you here, I've read a lot of your post in Candlepowerforums

This brands you are reporting are "European" ones, I prefer USA common ones as it use to be cheaper to buy there than here in Europe.

Below is the all the webbing/basic harness I have used. In the order of from most stiff to softest:

Piranhna true 2" or 51mm webbing, black, stiff
NESS ~2" 50mm black, stiff
Dive Gear Express true 2" or 51mm webbing
Halcyon ~2" 50mm blue H webbing
DRIS ~2" 50mm
Dive Rite basic harness, true 2" or 51mm

Amount them, Halcyon and DGX are very similar in term of stiff and feel. I would say DGX is slightly stiffer. I like Halcyon the most closely followed by DGX. If my Halcyon wear out, I will probably just use DGX. Both retain their form/flatness when fully wet.

My 3rd preference is Piranhna. When dry, it is very stiff to a point I feel a bit hard to work with. Once wet, it become similar to DGX. Retain flat pretty well when fully wet. It also feel thicker than Halcyon and DGX

NESS is very stiff when new. After a lot of use, it seems to soften up. This is also a good webbing but it feels thinner than the above. It is now on my weight belt.

DRIS is right on stiffness when dry. But once wet, it is too soft for me. It doesn't doesn't stay very flat when fully wet. Not bad but I prefer the above.

DiveRite basic harness webbing. Mine is very very soft when dry. Once wet, it is sloppily soft. Triglide and chest d-rings don't stay put on this webbing. I heard this is only true for some production cycles. I have contact they said they won't replace it, no big deal, but enough for me not to buy this again. DiveRite crotch strap webbing is extremely stiff. Way too stiff for that area. I also highly NOT recommand them

This brands you are reporting are "European" ones, I prefer USA common ones as it use to be cheaper to buy there than here in Europe.

For me is more expensive America ;-)) ( you dont have ''area'' in your profile )

Thanks eelnoraa for sharing your knowledge, for sure it will help to many of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom