Stiff hoses on brand new regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Very new to the dive scene. Have just bought my first set of regulators (apeks atx40's with ds4

I am wondering whether the hoses are usually so stiff when buying a brand new set.

If so does anyone know of the best way of breaking them in as my next planned dive isn't until October.

I appreciate any help as I just want to learn

Thanks
Matt

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hoses do not really break in. If anything they will get stiffer with age. Some are simply stiffer than others and vary slightly in diameter and minor construction details and source. N

If anything they will get stiffer with age. N

I have never experienced that problem. And some of mine are quite old.

I've never noticed any difference between rubber hoses and do have Apeks branded hoses. If you want more flexible you could go to braided hoses although at present there seems some issues arising so maybe it's better to stick with rubber for the time being. Have you actually had your regs in the water yet?

Havnt been in the water yet. Wint be able to actually use them for a few weeks because of my work pattern. Will have to submerge them in a bath and see if they
Loosen up a bit.

Havnt been in the water yet. Wint be able to actually use them for a few weeks because of my work pattern. Will have to submerge them in a bath and see if they
Loosen up a bit.

They won't loosen up but you might find once diving you no longer notice and it ceases to be a concern. Sometimes people experience reg push/pull which is usually attributed to either the hose being too long (push) or too short (pull). Fortunately hoses are not expensive in the grand scheme of things. It's all part of the fun of diving, fine tuning equipment for individual comfort. Good luck.

Unless they are attached to a tank and pressurized it is better not to put them in water. You could get water inside the regulator lines which is not good.

What is too stiff? Get tank, bcd, and attach tank to bcd and regs to tank. Put bcd on and put reg in mouth. If reaches mouth and does not try to pull out then life is good. Reg hoses are stiff. They do not easily make sharp bends. Even stiffer when pressurized.

As long as he doesn't hit purge button water should not enter the hoses. I've been soaking my regs unpressurized for years and never had a problem. It is a good idea to try and draw breath from the second stage just to ensure dust cap (ball) has sealed the first stage properly. If you can't draw air you're good to immerse.

As long as he doesn't hit purge button water should not enter the hoses. I've been soaking my regs unpressurized for years and never had a problem. It is a good idea to try and draw breath from the second stage just to ensure dust cap (ball) has sealed the first stage properly. If you can't draw air you're good to immerse.
That's what I thought. On my course we dipped our regs in vats of water after everyday to clean them so there should be a problem as long as I can't draw from them like you said.

I think it's just because the hoses are new and have been in a box for a long time to be honest.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom