Sticky buttons, in 6242.90 housing for Canon S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ubp_sanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone encountered the problem of having the buttons not return after pressing them?

I have been encountering this problem. I've always given my housing a good fresh water rinse after salt water.

I have been told that I need to lubricate the shafts or it's weak springs.

After time crud and salt will inevitably crystalise on the inside of the button shafts. Either drop it off at a dealer for cleaning or DIY- it's not difficult but make sure to dive the housing (no camera) after working on it. For pictures see the link below.

Let Me Google That For You

Sorry to hear of your problem. It's important not only to rinse the housing in fresh water, but to routinely submerge the housing and operate each of the pushbuttons several times while underwater. This helps to flush salt crystals and debris from around the push buttons. It's most effective to do this without camera installed, as you will be able to push the buttons in further.

We have also found that pouring some Sprite/7Up on the buttons (from the outside of the housing, not inside), letting it sit for a few minutes and then rinsing can help to eat away at more stubborn salt crystals.

You can push the button in and put a very small amount of lubricant on the shaft from the inside of the housing, then work the button several times to keep it in good shape.

Every year or two, depending on use, we recommend returning the housing for full service, which includes replacement of all seals and water pressure testing.

Regards,

Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

I'm going to try the Sprite tip. I've had the housing sitting in a bucket of water for the past few days as I usually do. But they are still sticky.

And I'll try a bit of lubricant as well.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom