STEWART’S COVE any pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anybody knows anything about that spot? It some where south of carmel river.

Hi,

Stewart's Point is the point at the north end of Carmel River Beach. Some people call the cove at the end of the beach Stewart's Cove. I dove there a few days ago. There are lots of beautiful rock walls. For instructions, check references for Carmel River Beach, such as at CADIVINGNEWS or BAUE. The Carmel River Beach entry down the stairs they are describing is Stewart's Cove.

Also, I've heard Butteryfly House called Stewart's Cove once in a while. I think that is because Butterfly Cove is at the end of Stewart's Way.

Steve

Thanks i'll check those. anything you can add inters of entry, exit or sharks :)

Here is the directions:

Directions

From Monterey, take Hwy 1 South to Carmel. Turn right on Rio Road, and continue past the Carmel Mission. Turn left on Santa Lucia, another left on Carmelo, and follow Carmelo as it curves to the right and becomes Scenic Road. Park near the intersection of Ocean View and Scenic Road. Access to the dive site is down the stairs on the ocean side of the intersection of Ocean View and Scenic Road.

If you go to google map Ocean View & Scenic. It is the northern most end of the beach where the rocks are and that is where you go in because it is a bit protected by the rocks.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, i'll try it ASAP. what about underwater stuff? any interesting directions, headuing depth?

See the directions posted above. Park above the stairs at Ocean View Ave and Scenic Dr. near Stewart's Point and enter the water at the base of the stairs, moving down the beach enough to avoid surf breaking on the point. Swim in a curve around the kelp, the breaking surf, and the rocks of the point. Curve back towards the center line extending from the point, well away from the rocks. Once outside the main kelp bed, I take a heading of about 240 degrees out and about 60 degrees back. There's one last wash rock out from the point, take your heading to the south of it, keeping away from the shallower rocks where the surge is noticeable. Drop wherever you want. There will be many rock walls crossing your path forcing you off course, so keep adjusting back to your chosen heading. Also, the beach exit is steep like Monastery. Please show it due respect. I crawl out. Also, I do not recommend this site if the swells are any larger than a couple of feet. Shelter from the point gives a false sense of security, so please be careful.

This is a very good site with no crowds and lots of walls close to shore. Some are 20-30 feet high. It's a big piece of real estate down there. There's plenty of new stuff to see.

Have a good dive.

Steve

PS: Make sure you can outswim your buddy, if you are worried about sharks.

Thanks a bunch !

since English my second language, I will utilize Bing Maps and my excellent drawing skills... please take this as a add-on to ScubaBumps and all other very good descriptions above

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom