Stepping out of boot and fin together.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevetim

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a curiosity question.

Does anyone make it their normal routine to take off your open back fins/boots by slipping off the whole boot while it is mounted inside the fin? I am not near any water right now to try it with gear on, but tried it on the comfort of my bed and it seems very easy to do while dry.

I just wanted to ask before I lose some gear at the boat ladder.

No, I don't.
I don't particularly cotton to walking around in most dive areas without some time of foot protection on, maninly because of rocks, bottle caps the possibility of broken glass, wet boat decks and that sort of thing.

the K

stevetim:

Does anyone make it their normal routine to take off your open back fins/boots by slipping off the whole boot while it is mounted inside the fin? I am not near any water right now to try it with gear on, but tried it on the comfort of my bed and it seems very easy to do while dry.

Although I've never tried this I suspect you'll find it harder when it's wet. My first guess is that you'll get a vacuum effect in the boot and it won't come off as easily.

R..

I agree with the others... booties are there for foot protection; plus wet suction makes my booties, at least, almost impossible to take off even by themselves.

You wouldn't be considering doing this before climbing up a boat ladder, would you?

Do you wear a wetsuit, with the cuffs over your booties?

I don't find it any challenge at all to remove my fins... do you?

--Marek

Not really considering doing much in the way of trying to doff everything on my feet at once. Just wondered about it since I am novice to dive habits. I think personally though that I like having the boot inside of the fin before I put them on. For one, it keeps them together between dives(I like to subside the prune effect a little between dives), and two, if I want to don my fins in the water, the neoprene in my boots helps them float since my fins are -buoyant.

About taking my boots off before I climb the boat ladder. No way. I broke the fifth metatarcel in my left foot a couple of years ago and it is still sensitive to concentrated pressures like a thin ladder rung.

Nothing wrong with a little "wonder if there's a better way of doing this!" :D

On the other hand, the phrase "solution in search of a problem" comes to mind too.

Seems to me that even if it were easy to do, you'd want to have your booties on your feet for protection/warmth before and after you take your fins off, no matter where you dive. You agree you'd want to keep them on, on a boat. I'd certainly want to do the same thing on a beach dive...

Do you wear a wetsuit? Most (not all) folks pull the cuffs of their wetsuit bottoms over their booties... the thinking is, it keeps water from being pushed into the booties while swimming; keeps water from draining down into the booties after the dive; and, at least for me, it keeps my bootie zippers closed. Hard to do what you're thinking that way.

Between dives, if you have a long-enough surface interval -- and it's warm -- you'll probably be stripping out of your wetsuit... starting with your booties. If the surface interval is short, you'll probably want to keep everything on.

Well, give it a try at home... lock the bathroom door (very important :eyebrow: )... get your booties soaking wet in the tub, wearing the fins... make sure all the air is out of the bootie... and see how easy it is to take both off at the same time. If the booties fit well, I'll bet it won't be easy at all.

And the other way around... I'd bet it wouldn't be easy to put a fin on with a bootie already in it, even when dry!

Oh... don't your fins straps cover the bottom part of your bootie zippers?

(If you're trolling, I hate you!! :wink: )

--Marek

stevetim:

But I wear surfwalkers and not diveboots. Since they're so thin, they usually stay in the fin pockets when I slip them off before getting on a ladder.

I don't do it on shore exits though.

try it in the bathtub!!! Then give us a dive report. :)

chip104:
try it in the bathtub!!! Then give us a dive report. :)

Can I log this one? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom