Steel VS Aluminum Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

something that bugs me a little about this issue -- isn't your buddy's wing your backup buoyancy if you're in a wetsuit -- just like your buddy's tank is your backup gas if you're in a single tank?

I thought the "no steel tanks with wetsuit" was for doubles?

I dive a steel 100 with SS backplate and wetsuit. I have 8# of lead on my belt. I have done the test at 100 fsw depth and dropping my weight belt I can easily swim up the -13 lbs buoyancy (-8 for full tank, -5 for SS backplate), not counting the remaining lift from my not-fully-compressed wetsuit.

With my current diving 100 fsw is my target depth for this calculation. If I start diving doubles or go much deeper (which requires doubles anyway), I'll revisit the issue.

Drysuit on order though! :D

I am glad I started this thread - many issues - many answers...

Plenty to make me think.

DIR or not - I believe I will be very close to correct weight with the steel 100, and SS plate in saltwater - which is where I do 97% of my diving.....

Hearing all these posts sure is helpful - and DEFINATELY a thread worth reading

Thanks everyone

radinator:
I thought the "no steel tanks with wetsuit" was for doubles?
As I understand it, the actual concept behind all the rules of thumb was the balanced rig, and its not possible to have a balanced rig with doubled steel tanks and a wetsuit.

OTOH, if I can dive wet with a steel plate, single steel tank, just enough total weight to be able to hold a normal safety stop, plus enough of that weight ditchable so that I can get enough positive buoyancy with a full tank to get to the surface without becoming a human torpedo, I would think that would meet the *real* requirement. I think this is essentially what Spectre was saying in his link above, but feel free to check me on this.

This thread has taken a couple of turns - I want to re-state the original question >>

Based on :

Diving in saltwater, with a steel 100, a steel backplate

I normally dive a 3M wetsuit with an additional armless hooded vest (2 mil chest, 3mill hood)

So how does this system add up ?? I was only talking about a SINGLE tank rig...

(I was just trying to get back to one topic)

=) But what a great thread !!

If you're not overweighted, and you can swim the thing up from depth with a total BC failure (which you probably can) you should be fine. But you might want to check.. I'm overweighted in a 3mm wetsuit with a steel plate and an Al 80, for instance.

jonnythan:
If you're not overweighted, and you can swim the thing up from depth with a total BC failure (which you probably can) you should be fine. But you might want to check.. I'm overweighted in a 3mm wetsuit with a steel plate and an Al 80, for instance.

Johnny

I just read the ENTIRE thread "Aluminum vs Steel tanks" and learned a lot. I will be doing a lot of trim and bouyancy calculating (based on my rig) & testing this weekend with BOTH an aluminum 80 and a steel 100.
I am more fully aware of the final result that is important regarding having a balanced rig so should a failure of the bladder occur one can safely reach the surface and maintain bouyancy.

SPECTRE

Thanks - I read your post in the post mentioned above and must say - That was an enlightening post regarding jumpin in at 130 ' !! Point well taken.... Thank you.

JUST A BRAINSTORM - not meant to stir the pot ok guys ? I was curious why no one or company has tried the concept of permanent bouyancy on a plate.(high density foam).. I mean ROV's, small submarines use it ( I know Karl Stanley www.stanleysubmarines.com) and had his sub at my place for a year and told him where to get his HDF) it could easily compensate for 3-5 pounds of lift..... I have not put 5 minutes of thought into that - it was mearly me poppin off an idea. I KNOW it isn't DIR =) but for the user of a steel 100, or 120 that already had the steel tank, the differance between the steel and aluminum tanks could be offset is all I am saying...
It could be done safe and secure... NOT DIR... just food for thought.... =)

i use a ss backplate and 3mm suit in warm saltwater and still need an addtl 2lb weight. i dont even wanna think of how much more weight il be needing with an aluminum bp. most people i know get the aluminum bp for travelling purposes( lighter for travelling) as opposed to actual weight when diving.

please forgive me if this is a stupid question. assume there's a properly weighted diver who needs somewhere in the neighborhood of 16# in a 3 to 7mil suit with an al80 and ss bp. if they went to a steel tank, starting with that much lead and decreasing as needed (to what? maybe 12-ish#?), wouldn't that leave enough ditchable to be fine staying wet? i guess what i'm asking is - is it that the steel's incompatible with the wetsuit, or that for many divers steel means too little ditchable weight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom