Steel Tanks in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred Brown

Reaction score
I'm moving from the UK to relocate in Florida. Will I encounter any
problems with my steel tanks, ie, testing and servicing? The tanks
will shipped in a container together with the rest of of personal
effects; what air pressure should I leave in the tanks? All opinions
appreciated.

Haven't had to ship tanks myself, but everything I've read says you have to ship them empty. You may want to remove the valves and package them separately, or leave them open if you leave the valves on the tanks. You may want to have them VI'd when they get to FL. Servicing steels shouldn't be a problem at all.

-Roman.

Fred Brown once bubbled...
I'm moving from the UK to relocate in Florida. Will I encounter any
problems with my steel tanks, ie, testing and servicing? The tanks
will shipped in a container together with the rest of of personal
effects; what air pressure should I leave in the tanks? All opinions
appreciated.

Be sure they have DOT stamps. If not, sell them and get new here because they can't be filled without the stamps.

Ship EMPTY with valves open and loose (in case customs wants to look inside, better that they don't take a wrench or hammer to your valves...).

Tom

Wreckwriter is correct. No DOT stamp, don't bother bringing them. It would cost way more than they're worth to get the stamp, if you could get it at all.
Rick

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm selling my tanks here before I leave. How much can I expect to pay for a pair of 80ft3 cylinders? And is 80 the largest size available?

Fred Brown once bubbled...
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm selling my tanks here before I leave. How much can I expect to pay for a pair of 80ft3 cylinders? And is 80 the largest size available?

80s shouldn't be a problem and neither are larger sized steels. Typical sizes you'll see are 80, 100 (including 95 and 104s), 120s, all available in high or low pressure versions. Expect to pay approximately $250-300 for a 100ft3 steel tank. They may be more expensive than that in some LDSs, but you can find a good price if you shop around, including purchasing online (LeisurePro seems to have good prices on them). Hope this helps!

-Roman.

:blahblah:
WreckWriter:
Be sure they have DOT stamps. If not, sell them and get new here because they can't be filled without the stamps.

Tom

Yeah, those 3 nasty little letters, D.O.T. I was using Poseidon 300 Bard tanks in Saudi, 8 and 10L tanks. Lovely, especially the 8L ones. Recognized and respected brand throughout the world-minus th U.S., naturally. As if it would be so hard to get one's tanks inspected and stamped. I love steel tanks. Properly taken care of, they'll last just as long. Who wants to go from -3 or -4 lbs bouyancy to +1.5 or more? Steel rules, aluminium drools!:flag:

Back
Top Bottom