Steel HP 119's vs 120's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to prefer skinney tanks as long as they are no longer than an aluminum 80. Only then will I go to a larger diameter.

I considered both the X7-120's and the X8-130's when I was tank shopping last year. Ultimately I chose the smaller-diameter, longer X7 in part because some of the boats I commonly dive from were shortsighted installing tubes that won't hold an 8-incher, whereas of course they all can fit a 7.25" cylinder.

I'm 5'10", but I have short legs and a long torso, so my middle is proportioned like a taller man's. I like the 120's in terms of how high they hold my gear when donning, and the way they trim me out. I hang my SMB from my rear D-ring (off the crotch strap), so it gets sandwiched between my butt and the bottom of the tank - but that lets me know it's there!

I did not think seriously about the X8-119's for the same reasons mentioned above, i.e. if I were to go with the 8" tank anyway, the 130 gives me more gas for about the same weight and profile.

It's all about fit and trim - the Worthingtons are all great tanks. Just be aware of the 8-inch "problem" on some boats.

>*< Fritz

I am 5'9" and I have a pair of the X8 119's. I think the 120's would have been too tall for me. I got the 119's and my buddy got the 130's. I am a little better on air than him so when we're diving together it works out perfect. The 8" tank can be good and bad. If you own your own boat and almost always use the tanks on your boat then it's a good thing. The 8" tank is more stable when standing up. Whether to put the gear onto it or if you forget and leave it standing up when you get back in the boat and the boat is rocking around (yes I know you're not supposed to leave a tank standing up, but be real, it happens). If you mainly dive on charters with your tanks then I'd go with the 7" tanks because a lot of boats don't have the capacity for the 8" tanks. We love the high capacity tanks because we don't need any weight and we usually do 2 dives off of each of our tanks.

Back
Top Bottom