Steel HP 119's vs 120's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The x7's will mean less drag since they have a smaller cross section, but it really comes down to what you trim out best in. I have the equivalent of the x8 tanks and because they're short, they tend to put me in a head-down position. I'm much more comfortable with longer tanks.

It's definitely all about trim. Are you talking doubles or singles? For doubles I dive LP95s (same size/shape as HP119), and trim out just fine. For singles I use HP100's. I do use different plates and wings for each type. I'm 5'11", 220 lbs.

Best bet is to hook up w/ some local buddies and try out both types. Usually you can find someone who will let you borrow theirs for the cost of a fill. Another alternative is to find an LDS where you can rent them, but usually more costly. If you are buying from a shop, they may let you try for free.

John

I personally prefer shorter and fatter and I own two sets of HP 100's two sets of LP 95's and two sets of LP 72's - of these six sets the steel 72's are the tallest of the bunch and they are still an inch shorter than AL 80's.

Unless a diver is fairly tall an X8-119 may be a better choice than an X7-120 as the longer tank may be problematic in terms of trim - and vice versa.

If you have the opportunity, rent or borrow different sets and see what works for you.

I've used both single LP95's and HP120's. If I remember correctly the 95's were heavier than the 120's (by about 5 pounds), and obviously much shorter. The trim using each seemed about the same but I would rather have the 95's so I could shed some lead weight and because it's shorter length is more comfortable. I didn't really enjoy having the the bottom of the 120 hitting me in the ass, and then having to struggle to lift it high enough the sit on the table when gearing down.

Currently I only have a single HP100 but I'm hoping to get either a set of double LP72's or double HP100's

An X8-130 or X8-119 is shorter and probably better suited for anyone under 6 ft.

Of the two, I'd take the X8-130 it is only 1 pound heavier than an X8-119 yet holds 131 cu ft as is only 1.5" taller.

Not sure on where in NC you are. If you ever get up to Lake Rawlings, I've got a set of PST E119's and could borrow a set of Faber FX120s for you to try. Everyone gawks at them until they dive them, and then just talk about how nice they felt in-water. Well, at least the two that have borrowed them so far. In addition I know some more people that would probably lend their tanks as well(helping out others is fun) so we could probably get you in a set of Faber 95's, 108's, or Worthington X8119's.

I think it is X7-100 doubles-profile on the left foto and Al 80's-profile on the right, right so?

Attachments

• GUE DIR configurations.JPG
    GUE DIR configurations.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 432
I think it is X7-100 doubles-profile on the left foto and Al 80's-profile on the right, right so?
The doubles are too long to be 100's and would be 8" in diameter if compared to the single tank.

The AL 80 is also too long to be an AL 80. I suspect the image has been distorted slightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom