Steel 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jham2081

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just picked up a used 1966 Steel 72 for $100. It has a current hydro/vis. It was stored with air in it. Did I get hosed or get a deal?

that's a little bit much for that old of tank ....... they should have thrown in the vintage backpack and regulator that was used with the tank for that price.

scubapro50:
that's a little bit much for that old of tank ....... they should have thrown in the vintage backpack and regulator that was used with the tank for that price.

oh well... i guess you live and learn.

jham2081:
I just picked up a used 1966 Steel 72 for $100. It has a current hydro/vis. It was stored with air in it. Did I get hosed or get a deal?

As to whether or not that's a good deal, I guess depends on your diving
needs and how they work with that tank. Most people dive with Aluminum
80's, which hold more air but mostly because that's what sold the most
in dive shops. However, a steel tank does have it's advantages. You don't
have to carry as much weight because a steel tank is more negative bouyant.

The Steel 72's are still popular with people who use less air, such as women
or children. They like them because they don't have to carry as much
weight as an AL80 and they are smaller in size which makes it easier on
them to carry them (on their back).

$100 bucks is a little high though compared to what they go for on average.
But it doesn't mean that you got a really bad deal. If it's in very good shape,
has a current hydro/vis (like you said it did), new valves, etc... then you might
see some people asking that much, but they'll be a hard sale considering you
can pick up a new, bigger, AL 80 for $125-$140 on average. Most Steel
7'2s I've seen for sale go for $40 to $75.

It's still not a bad tank, especially for a spare, etc.

If it is galvanized and has a fairly modern K valve it would be a good deal and with a convertible DIN/K valve it would be a great deal.

The AL 80 doesn't hold that much more air that a steel 72. They do allow the diver to carry less weight, and I find that I have adequate bottom times for the diving that I do.

I like the 72s and try to spend less than $50 for one. I get a hydro, VIP, and air for $30. In fact, I am picking up one on Wednesday.

jham2081:

It sounds a bit high on price but I'm not the last word on that.

I will say that I wouldn't price weigh it against an AL80. You're in a whole other league especially if it's one of those 72s that come in at like 13 pounds negative. The smaller tank that's willing to sink will give you more boottom time per cubic foot by dropping some weight from your belt. More than one person has told me that those steel 72's will go toe to toe with an AL80 (77.4 CF) diver.

I think you may also find that dive shops are willing to pump steel cylinders up a bit more than aluminum making a good fill at final temperature more likely. I dove tonight with a guy whose AL80 is constently at 2500 PSI when he sets up. He called the dive and got out wiith 800 PSI, I still had 2100 in my little PST E7-80, I started with a legitimate full fill.

Pete

I'd agree with that. In fact an AL80 with a pretty common 2800 psi fill only holds 72 cu ft.

Of course a standard steel 72 has to be pumped to 2475 psi (10% overfill) to achieve 71.2 cu ft. and only has 64.7 cu ft at the normal 2250 psi service pressure. But it's possible to continue plus rating steel tanks so that 2475 is a legal fill and getting a good fill on a steel 72 is a lot more likely given the willingness of some shops to push the pressure in steel tanks a couple hundred psi over the limit so that they cool to the service pressure rather than 200-300 psi below it.

Remember too that most dive boats want you to return with 500 psi in your tank .... an older tank will probably be filled at 2200 psi not 2450 due to its age ... most shops won't push an old tank fearing it might blow up ... it has been reported that some shops won't even fill a tank over 20 years old (especialy in Flordia). If you use a BCD and inflate it several times you use up addition air. You might get 20 minutes of air tops if lucky.

Back
Top Bottom