Steel 130 doubles too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlthecat

Registered
Reaction score
I need a little guidance since I dont want to buy equipment that doesnt work out and then have to rebuy something I should have bought in the first place. With that said, I have 2 x 130cf steel tanks because I suck a lot of air and appreciate the extra time underwater. I plan on taking the Tec Diver certification next summer and started buying the necessary equipment now so I can spread the cost out over a year instead of making a huge purchase before the class. Buying the equipment in stages also will allow me to get 100% comfortable with the DIR setup and the advanced equipment. Anyway, I am about to make the next purchase towards the final setup which happens to be doubles with a manifold and bands. My question to the board is should I take my 2 x 130cf steel tanks and set them up as doubles or should I get slightly smaller doubles (like 100s or 120s) and use the 130's for stage/deco bottles? I am leaning toward using the 130's as doubles and getting some 100 aluminums for the stage/deco bottles. What do you think? Thanks for any and all responses in kind.

Carl the Cat

carlthecat:
I need a little guidance since I dont want to buy equipment that doesnt work out and then have to rebuy something I should have bought in the first place. With that said, I have 2 x 130cf steel tanks because I suck a lot of air and appreciate the extra time underwater. I plan on taking the Tec Diver certification next summer and started buying the necessary equipment now so I can spread the cost out over a year instead of making a huge purchase before the class. Buying the equipment in stages also will allow me to get 100% comfortable with the DIR setup and the advanced equipment. Anyway, I am about to make the next purchase towards the final setup which happens to be doubles with a manifold and bands. My question to the board is should I take my 2 x 130cf steel tanks and set them up as doubles or should I get slightly smaller doubles (like 100s or 120s) and use the 130's for stage/deco bottles? I am leaning toward using the 130's as doubles and getting some 100 aluminums for the stage/deco bottles. What do you think? Thanks for any and all responses in kind.

Carl the Cat
Well, I wouldn't use a steel 130 as a stage or deco bottle...
Are these PST E8-130's? If so, they're pretty standard around here as far as size goes (same size as LP 104's).
Rick

Yes Rick. They are PST E8-130s. So, you would use them as doubles? If so, what would you recommend to an air-sucker for stage/deco bottles? It may also be helpful to know I am pretty big at 6'4" and 299# (although that isnt THAT fat for someone 6'4" even though 250 would be better... I mean 249 :wink: - LOL).

carlthecat:
Yes Rick. They are PST E8-130s. So, you would use them as doubles? If so, what would you recommend to an air-sucker for stage/deco bottles? It may also be helpful to know I am pretty big at 6'4" and 299# (although that isnt THAT fat for someone 6'4" even though 250 would be better... I mean 249 :wink: - LOL).
I like AL 80's as stages, 30's or 40's as deco bottles. The biggest problem I have with steels for either use is in buoyancy change - any of those AL bottles swing around zero - from a few pounds negative to a pound or two positive as you use the gas, so they're easy to add or drop without major adjustments. And when thinking about your original question, consider that double 100's and a 130 stage is less gas than double 130's and an 80 stage :) If you need more than a couple of 40's for deco gas you're getting into some mighty serious deco...
Rick

If I owned the 130s already, I'd double them up FOR SURE! Stick with Alum tanks for the deco or stage bottles.

That's my opinion, and probably worth exactly what you paid for it.

I use a set of 130s when the dive calls for 130s.

For the rest of the time they're heavier than crap.

If you want to do every quarry dive or shore dive staggering from your staging area and back under a set of pigs, go for it.

But I'd suggest you consider a set of aluminum 80s and give yourself a break for starters. They're more flexible and user friendly in a broad range of circumstances, IMHO, for most diving you're going to be doing unless you actually require 260 cubic feet of gas for the dives you're planning.

I've got two sets of each, and the 80s are definitely a bonus when humping down to the quarry in a drysuit in July.....

Just a thought..... :wink:

Those Al 80s are only 5-10 lbs lighter once you add in the extra 10 lbs of lead you need to sink them compared to 130s.

If the 130s make you stagger around, you might benefit yourself more by diving less and hitting the gym more :D:

Besides, Al80s suck when you're trying to get two quality dives out of them. I much rather be NDL limited than gas limited. For single tech dives I can see where the Al 80s would often be preferable.

carlthecat:
I am leaning toward using the 130's as doubles and getting some 100 aluminums for the stage/deco bottles. What do you think?
Alum 100's for deco tanks? LOL

Use Luxfer 40's. If you are a real gas hog, use a Luxfer 80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom