Staying in Playa...Need Dive Plan..Want Max

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TKS

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Newly certified diver. Only diver in traveling group. Staying in Playa at Reef Playacar because I listened to my travel agent. I am regretting that! I will be visiting in late May. I want to maximize my diving but I am overwhelmed with all the possibilities and diving loc's....cozumel, playa, cenotes, reefs, etc. If you were a new diver and had 4 days to dive...what would your dive plan be and with whom? I want to see as much varied marine life as possible....the coral seems fascinating but I may want to return and focus on that after mother nature has had time. Also, I still struggle with the bouyancy issue and would NEVER want to be the cause of killing the coral. I want a small dive group, with an attentive dive master, a great crew who helps with the equipment, and has a reputation for safety. I want to learn about the marine life and not just watch it pass by. Any suggestions?

If I was you, I would want to do the following:

Day 1, Tortugas and maybe Barracuda out of Playa del Carmen
Day 2, Cozumel - Blue XTC
Day 3, Paradise Deep and Canales or Castelios in Puerto Aventuras
Day 4, Cenotes (I know most will say Dos Ojos) Ponderossa and Taj Mahal.

Just my thoughts and as far as I am concerned the dives in this order start out good and only get better :)

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
If I was you, I would want to do the following:

Day 1, Tortugas and maybe Barracuda out of Playa del Carmen
Day 2, Cozumel - Blue XTC
Day 3, Paradise Deep and Canales or Castelios in Puerto Aventuras
Day 4, Cenotes (I know most will say Dos Ojos) Ponderossa and Taj Mahal.

Just my thoughts and as far as I am concerned the dives in this order start out good and only get better :)

Dennis
Dennis, you are highly recommended for cenote diving! I have contacted Blue XTC for Cozumel. So, my next questions would be:
1. Are all of these sights appropriate for a very new diver...only 4 ow dives when certified?
2. Would day 1 and day 3 be 2 tank dives each and can they both be done in the am? 3. Would day 4 also be a 2 tank dive and I think that would take all day am I correct? 4. Can I package days 1, 3, and 4 with one company?
5. What about night diving?
Thanks!:D

TKS:
Dennis, you are highly recommended for cenote diving! I have contacted Blue XTC for Cozumel. So, my next questions would be:
1. Are all of these sights appropriate for a very new diver...only 4 ow dives when certified?
2. Would day 1 and day 3 be 2 tank dives each and can they both be done in the am? 3. Would day 4 also be a 2 tank dive and I think that would take all day am I correct? 4. Can I package days 1, 3, and 4 with one company?
5. What about night diving?
Thanks!:D

1. Yes, all the sites with 1 possible exception - Taj Mahal. Depending on how your first dive goes, your guide may recommend not to do a second dive. That is if you are not able to maintain good buoyancy and trim. You should also tell your dive operator before you book that you are a new diver and that you may need some extra attention on the safety stop and some patience for your descent and that the maximum depth shouldn't exceed your training. Make sure that the dive op you choose will not hassle you when you tell them you need a minute on the surface to preform a buoyancy check.

Cozumel has a great variety of dive site, but some of them may be deep with a strong current, again tell your op what your level is.

2. Day 1 would be a 2 tank dive and day 3 would be a 9:00 am departure and an 11:30 departure, finishing around 2:00. Though you may be able to convince the operator to do a 2 tank morning. :)

3. Yes it would be a 2 tank dive and if you are not rushed, should run from 9:00 am till 2:30 - 3:00 pm

4. I don't think so, most companies out of Playa don't travel to Puerto Aventuras and visa verse. Possible Scuba Caribe but then you lose the small dive group and maybe a few other requirments.... However, I may be persuaded to book a boat to run up to Tortuga and Barracuda for a two tank morning - though this is weather dependant.

5. Of course!! I know I go out on Wednesday nights and some Mondays.

Now keep in mind that you have only done 4 dives and you know that you have some buoyancy issues. Let the operator know this so you minimize surprises.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom