Staying in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba jeff

Registered
Reaction score
I was recently on a cruise and got to dive in Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize. I really want to go back to Belize for a whole week to dive and do other things. Does anyone have any recomendations on where to stay on any place in the Cayes or in Belize City that offers diving?????

HI yes, I would suggest Ambergris Caye. Although the resorts on the northern end are really nice ( I stayed at Captain Morgans but barely spent anytime at the resort so it was a waste of money) you have to water taxi into town which can be a pain and costly. They have really built up the southern end of this island but I didn't stay there. I would suggest staying in the town of San Pedro if you want to keep the cost down. Ramon's Village came highly recommended from people I met.

Check out this site http://www.ambergriscaye.com

Jeff, it all depends on where you want to dive. If you dove Lighthouse Reef, Glovers Reef, etc, then Ambergris is probably a little far to do those day after day from. You could get in a day trip to Lighthouse or Turneffe though. They typically leave at 6am and return around 5pm. The reef off of Ambergris wasn't bad, but it just wasn't as good as the wall dives of Lighthouse Reef. I've heard the same from everyone else I've talked to about this.

If you're looking for some place to dive and have a relaxing vacation, then Ambergris is the place. It's real laid back. Not much to do other than kick back and relax, but it's great for that! It's also close enough and has access to a lot of other activities on the mainland. You can do trips to the ruins, cave tubing, etc. Keep in mind though that from San Pedro Town, you'll be in for a long day every time you do those trips. They usually fly you out around 7am and you don't return until around 6pm.

So, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Hi Scuba_Jeff,

I would look into the Mayan Princess hotel that is right across the beach from Amigos Del Mar Dive shop - I loved these guys. If you want something more basic look at Lily's guest house. I stayed at Corona Del Mar 2/9-2/15/07 that is approx 10 mins (golf cart speed) from town and all the action.

Have Fun !
2Bluewater

A good compromise between cost and luxury is Spindrift. A proper concrete-built hotel right in the center of town on the beach, not wooden like many of the cheaper ones, clean, well run, and with everything you're likely to want (no pool) but a bit faded. A good reference is http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html.

We stayed at Ramons Village last November, nothing but good things to say about Ramons, Highly recomended.

Dove with Ramons also, very laid back, friendly staff. The morning boat leaves about 9 a.m. Five min. boat ride to the reef, dive your computer, back on the beach to relax by 11 a.m. Plenty of time to grab lunch and catch the 12:30 boat.

Jeff,

I don't know what dive operator you went with when you where in Belize, but Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection has recently opened a lodge about 15 minutes off the coast of the city. This allows you do get quality dives at Turneffe, have access to Lighthouse, as well as being close enough to the city to take a day trip inland...

Here is the website....

www.belizeadventurelodge.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom