staying and diving near PDC. any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has recently gotten her dive cert. ( yeah, now I have a buddy to dive with). Problem is, she's only seen
Tiajuana and the small area between the cruise port and the plaza in Coz. Now she thinks all of Mexico is a dive.
(not the wet kind mind you). I would like to take her to a nice place (5 star) that has good diving, as the stuff she did in COZ was right off of the plaza, and not any good, for other than a check dive. I am really disappointed that she has had a bad start, and would like to help her see the good side of Mexico.
I am looking at Iberostar Pariso Del Mar in PDC, but COZ is also an option. Does anyone know of a good clean hotel, away from the main stream of tourism and a good place to dive that might redeem her ideas about Mexico? Hotels along the beach In CUN are out as she doesn't like the crowded feeling of all those hotels, and people. I am also on a budget so outrageous prices won't work.
Thanks.

I am afraid that the terms "5 star" and "budget" may be mutually excluding, but there are some nice, clean, inexpensive, safe, uncrowded hotels on Cozumel, and the diving is way better than what you will find across the channel. I stay at Lorena when I am there (and I will be next week), which fits all the above criteria. It is close enough to town to walk in about 30 minutes, but far enough away to be unaffected by the presence of cruise ships. See my Cozumel Travelogue at
http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html

Look into the Reef Club. All inclusive with meals, alcohol, room and very clean facilities. Plenty of Non divers on the beach. Reef Club is located on the South end far from the cruise ships or late night crowds.

I have been to Coz with open Water classes 6 times and twice on vacation; this was my first time to Reef Club. My girlfriend booked this through a travel agent. I was happily impressed and it is a very short boat ride to dive sites.

Write me e mail at rramsey7@austin.rr.com if you you would like more details.

The first time I went,my wife and I stayed at an all inclusive north of town[not impressed]--nice hotel and amenities but the food was mediocre at best ,not really the best bang for your buck.Second time my brother and I went and stayed at Sol cabanas north of town-our room was'nt ready on arrival,the hot water was sporadic and the toilet never worked properly!!!And believe me I'am am not a real hard to please kind of guy,but certain things,while on VACATION have to work properly!!
Went again last FEB 03 and stayed at the Villablanca south of town and found it to be quiet,laid back,and clean.I dove with dive paradise and the dock was just across the street,so it was very easy for me to get up,have breakfast,and go diving.The room I had was quite large and they'll give you an upgrade for 10.00 bucks a night--it's worth it,I think they have new management and they seemed to go out of they're way for people--anyway I hope this was of some help,also while in town try the Sonora Grill,lobster dinner 17.00 usd.THE DIVING WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

ASTA --
SCUBA STEVE

We stayed at the Hacienda San Miguel last summer: inexpensive, large clean rooms, free breakfast, located at the north end of town 1/2 block from the water (no beach or pool, but who cares).
There's a zillion dive ops, do a search on this board and you'll find plenty of reccomendations.

http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com/

Hi,

If you got the time check out
BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP

They are helpful in finding just what would work for you and your wife as far as hotel and BLUE ANGEL has good prices and great diving!

We won't dive with any othe shop!

Thanks for all the input. we still have not decided where to stay, but blue angle sounds like the outfit for us when it comes to diving. I now have it narrowed down to places south, so that limits things a bit.:) :)

Fiesta Americana and Alegro are a couple more options. The Alegro/Occidental is all inclusive so it is a bit more. The food at Fiesta was great but expensive. Both had excellent dive operations the last time I was there

It's an excellent place to stay and there are some really good deals through Funjet's Hot Deals(depending on where you're coming from).

You can dive with the Dive House right on the Premises (actually right across the street). They are an excellent shop and they will be as attentive as you want, or back off a little (depending on your skills and desires). They are run very well and are a great shop! The resort and dive shop are closer to the best dive spots and so boat rides are shorter.
The resort is farther from town so it's not a mob scene when the cruise ships come in and if you go into town in the evenings, the cruisers seem to be back on their ships by then. We always go into town for dinner after the day's diving and have never had a problem being crowded out by the cruisers.

As for eating, we usually buy some pastries or other snacks in town and keep them in our room for lunch or breakfast as we are usually on the go due to diving. Sometimes we have breakfast at the hotel. The food is good but can be a bit pricey. Depending on what deal you book you might be able to get breakfast included in your package.
We then take a taxi into SanMiguel for Dinner. Taxi from FA (as of January 03) into town was about 10 to 15 minutes and about $6 or $7 dollars.

There are too many excellent restaurants in town to be eating dinner at the hotel. You can do a search on the board for good restaurants. There's lots of good info in the Scubaboard archives.

I think your wife would like Fiesta Americana. Have fun wherever you go!

Back
Top Bottom