Question Stay on Bangka or Gangga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
CF L

CF L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I've just joined ScubaBoard hoping to get some help deciding between Murex Bangka and Gangga Island Resort.
  • As most of the dive sites seem to be around Bangka Island, is it better to stay on Bangka or is the boat journey from Gangga not long?
  • Do Gangga Divers regularly dive around Bangka Island?
  • How do the dive operations compare between the 2 resorts?
TIA

@ChrisM Thanks very much for all the information you have provided me. GIR still hasn't responded to my queries that I filled in on their website, maybe something went wrong and they never received my message.

How did you book with GIR, through their website? When I did a speculative booking to see the cost, the diver package does not seem available for the dates I picked so I will probably need to contact them to get a price if I decide to go ahead.

Regarding locking of room door, I'm more concerned about someone walking in when I'm in the shower 😆.
We used an agent, Amazing Adventures. Typically we don’t use an agent but because this was an area we hadn’t been to before we thought it made sense (doesn’t cost us any more and often they can get a bit of a deal Ie free nitrox). This was booked back for 2020, and when we rescheduled we agreed they could apply 2023 rates, but they didn’t demand the bump up. I believe our week rate with diving in 2020 was about 4200 for two, incl 2 dives / day Quite a bit more than our Lembeh bill

We used an agent, Amazing Adventures. Typically we don’t use an agent but because this was an area we hadn’t been to before we thought it made sense (doesn’t cost us any more and often they can get a bit of a deal Ie free nitrox). This was booked back for 2020, and when we rescheduled we agreed they could apply 2023 rates, but they didn’t demand the bump up. I believe our week rate with diving in 2020 was about 4200 for two, incl 2 dives / day Quite a bit more than our Lembeh bill
The GIR price doesn't seem too bad, not when compared with some other parts of the world :D. I may contact a couple of agents to see what deals I can get.

Has anyone seen a dugong diving around Bangka? I've read that there are some resident dugongs but you'd have to be lucky to see them.

Has anyone seen a dugong diving around Bangka? I've read that there are some resident dugongs but you'd have to be lucky to see them.
We were told on occasion one shows up at the pier at GIR. Certainly seems to be enough sea grass in the area

me... two or three times underwater but not close enough for photo... and as always i've super macro setup.. :acclaim: from the boat many times... last summer only once... in 2019 i remember a family with 3 adults and a baby dugong... it was during the crossing between bangka and talise island... :wink:

I think I am veering towards staying on Bangka at the moment. Coral Eye does look really nice, I'm just a bit unsure about not having locks on the door :D. May end up going to Murex.

I've seen and fed manatees while in Singapore, would love to see dugongs in the wild.

would love to see dugongs in the wild.

Arghhh.. not so easy.. I was lucky because I stayed there a lot of time.. 3 weeks last year.. in 2016 I stayed one month… dived every day 3dive day.. only one day off.. bangka dugongs are very shy.. one second and they disappear..
the easiest place where I saw dugongs in the wild was Red Sea.. 😅

I think I am veering towards staying on Bangka at the moment. Coral Eye does look really nice, I'm just a bit unsure about not having locks on the door :D. May end up going to Murex.

I've seen and fed manatees while in Singapore, would love to see dugongs in the wild.
I think if we were to go back we'd give Coral Eye a try

I've read comments that Bastianos only clears the beach right in front of the resort, not to the sides :(.

I'd be interested to see photos of the new beach view villas Coral Eye is building, their website says available from June. The rest of the resort looks very nice, I'm not sure about not being able to lock my room though :confused:. Also I think the rooms don't have AC?
Concerning Coral Eye - Stayed there in March. Doors lock, there is 24 hour electricity, a safe in the room, and there is air con. The beach is fine and cleaned daily. The house reef is great to snorkel. Staff was friendly. Meals were very good.

Back
Top Bottom