Starting from scratch..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, the three key things I would look for would be

- full manual control
- good wide angle capability (or ability to add one, wet lens perhaps)
- ability to add a strobe

So what ever matches these criteria in your price range, then add features to meet your budget. Good luck!

What does the crew think of the Olympus SP-310? Seems to be doable budget wise. Good bad indifferent?

CheddarChick:
What does the crew think of the Olympus SP-310? Seems to be doable budget wise. Good bad indifferent?

I recently purchased the Olympus SP-350 and PT-030 housing for about $180 for the camera, and $170 for the housing respectively and have been very happy. The SP-350 has three automated modes for underwater photograhy, plus full manual and aperture and shutter priorty modes. Not the ultimate camera for sure but I think it is a really good value for what you get.

Mr Carcharodon:
I recently purchased the Olympus SP-350 and PT-030 housing for about $180 for the camera, and $170 for the housing respectively and have been very happy. The SP-350 has three automated modes for underwater photograhy, plus full manual and aperture and shutter priorty modes. Not the ultimate camera for sure but I think it is a really good value for what you get.

I am going for that camera with and ikelite housing & DS51 strobe. However, now I'm a little nervous as I'm headed to Curacao in December and don't want to lose my new setup. If you don't mind me asking how did you lose your camera i.e. luggage, hotel etc??What would you do different this time around (if you decide to go back)??? PS: Sorry to hear about your loss, I really hate thieves. :shakehead

CheddarChick:
Hi Cecil, about the camera, someone decided they needed my camera more than I did in Curacao. (really irritated me)

Out of curiousity was your camera in your hotel room, vehicle or ?

I was looking at a trip to Bonaire which have since scrapped due to cost but all I hear is that Bonaire and Curacao is the petty theft capital of the Carib.
Their local government doesn't seem to be doing much to change that image.

You know we thought if we were going to have stuff stolen it would be on the beach as we dove. These pot lickers actually broken into our apartment by carjacking the steel grates off the window as we slept upstairs. Undeneath the security light, inside the steel security gate on the 10' concrete wall that had barbwire and electric fence on the top. So I really feel they watch very closely, and if the greed/need is too much, they figure out a way.
http://www.scubaboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37625&stc=1&d=1175248430
http://www.scubaboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37626&stc=1&d=1175248751
Again I would go back again, tomorrow if I could. Just being a lttle More cautious.:shakehead

Attachments

• 031907_0936[00].jpg
    031907_0936[00].jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 031907_0946[01].jpg
    031907_0946[01].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 35
Oh and does anyone know how to add the sealife strobe to this package, (I have a buddy I can steal his if I want) How do you use the slave option on this rig???

A pain about your stolen camera. Just goes to show you, nothing is safe anywhere.

I checked out the pictures you did get before the break-in, very very nice. I may have to stop bad mouthing that camera, you got some great pictures with it. The turtle shot is wonderful.

You'll do well by the Olympus and I look forward to pictures from it.

Thanks Cecil, those minutes with the baby turtles were some of the most wonderful I've had underwater...

I had such fun taking pictures with it, but human nature being what it is...should I change I wonder
3-11Habitatreefscorpion3.jpg

I too have a D70. The retail from xlite (sp?) is about $1300. Too much for me at this point. Have you done anything else for a housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom