Starting classes on the 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rexor

New
Reaction score
So my two buddy's have been diving for a few months now but in a group of three at times. So I was recruited to join them. I have always wanted to go diving and now I know a few people that do so I signed up. I did the $89 through UWS and am hoping it's not at all like most you have said it will be. I plain on doing my advanced as well as rescue diver, with who remains to be determined :wink: Can't wait to get out there.

Aaron

Last edited:
Diving is a great hobby.Your local dive shop will run trips and charters you and your friends might check into.Have fun,be safe !

Diving is a great hobby.

Hobby?

I suppose for some people it is a hobby. :D

Be careful Aaron, for a lot of us it turns into a life-long passion, an addiction. It soaks up all our time and money, and in fact becomes the only reason why we work at all -- to pay for it. We take secret trips to exotic "dive" locations, without our non-diving spouses, and indulge in ecstatic orgies of coral identification and fish fondling. I've sucked up so much money through a regulator I could have fed a small country for a year. I've tried to quit, really I have, but I keep falling off the wagon (and back into the water). DON'T DO IT MAN, JUST SAY NO, WALK AWAY NOW WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME. IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME BUT SAVE YOURSELF. AAAAIEEEEEE!! :wink:

Well class number one is in the books. I have some very serious reservations about this whole you can breathe underwater thing. The class is broke down in to two six person groups and two instructors while in the water. I think that's sufficient. The classroom seasons ran smoothly and then, I hit the water. The mask flooding drill ended up with water up the nose and I stood up. Tried it again, got it and then we moved on. Now I'm not real sure I have that skill down but it seemed as if well you did it once lets move on. Next the buddy breathing I ended up with a mouth full of water and again I stood up. Tried it again got it, and well again we just moved along. Now it was just day one and I am sure there will be more practice to be had, but first impressions are that we will just be moving right along once all the class can do something once. Again this is just my impression from ONE class.

I did enjoy the messing around in the deep end in the later part of the class though, the times I could get my mind to settle down and think "you are fine"

Now I have a buddy that after one four hour CW class was certified the next weekend and has had zero issues so far, me on the other hand, I think I am going to need a bit more then that and maybe a bit more then what this class is going to offer. 4 CW dives and 4 OW dives.

Next class is Wednesday and we will see how that goes :) Thinking positive can't hurt either :wink: as I really want this to be a fun hobby for me.

Last edited:
Rexor, I'm glad you are observing and thinking about what you are doing.

Some people simply can't achieve safe competency in the frame of a quick class. I was one of them. If you have reservations about your ability to perform ANY skill (and especially mask skills!), request more pool time. You may have to pay for it. It will be worth it. Masks DO flood -- It's really pretty unavoidable -- and you HAVE to be able to remain calm and methodical while coping with it. And remember, the water in the Sound is cold, which is quite different from the pool. You should be cheerfully unperturbed by mask flood and clear, or mask remove and replace, before you go on to test the skill in open water.

One tip -- Classes make you practice mask clearing while sitting or kneeling on the bottom, in an upright position. In that position, the bottom of your mask IS the lowest point in the mask, so there is NO need to tip the head back to achieve an adequate clear. If you do, you are encouraging any water in your mask or nose to run down the back of your throat and choke you.

When you are in a horizontal position, as you mostly would be while diving, and are looking down, the lenses are the lowest point, so you HAVE to tip your head back to get the mask fully cleared. The difference between the two is, in my experience, not explained well (if at all) in pool sessions.

Should you complete your class and still feel inadequately trained or unsafe, PM me -- Either my husband (a PADI DM) or I (just a diver, but I like mentoring) would be happy to meet up with you for some practice time. We have a pool, too.

Back
Top Bottom