Starter Scuba Gear Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon8118:
A great choice…the best gear is the gear that meets your needs and budget. Have fun diving and be safe…ENJOY…that’s what it’s all about!

Ditto that! Sounds like Larry took care of you. Have fun with the new equipment John.

Puget

John,
I would contact Larry at ScubaToys.com They are local for me in Dallas so I visit them quite frequently. I bought from them on-line before I ever went to the store.
This is by far the best shop I have ever been in and extremly honest. (he will tell you if the more expensive piece you are looking at is crap over the cheaper) a month or so ago he had a huge overstock of Dacor (I think) BCs he was selling for $199.
I know that they will barter with you too. I have asked them "if I buy this too will you knock a bit of the price".
Tell them what you are willing to spend and he will set something up for you.

I know a few people have suggested Leisure Pro and I would strongly advise against that. You will have no warranty with most, if any of your gear. Both the BC and reg are really long-term purchases that provided you take care of them should last at least 10 years. A good BC = comfort, a good reg = safety. For your first reg, take a good look at Sherwood. I prefer ScubaPro, Apeks, and Atomic personally but Sherwood has been around for 40+ years and the parts to service them are cheap, mainly o-rings. BCs on the other hand you can really use any brand as long as it fits. Stay away from Mares/Dacor though as their customer service is lacking. Again Sherwood, Genesis, Aeris and Seaquest are good choices. I prefer ScubaPro and DiveRite but I have specific needs for teaching and tech diving. Another online vendor to check would be www.hollywoodivers.com as they carry almost every manufacturer with most in stock. Regardless of what you get, take care of it and it should take care of you. Also don't rule out diving close to home, the Flower Garden Banks are just of your shores of Texas, get on a trip at the end of August to catch the coral spawning. BTW, congrats on getting certified recently. Have more fun than you can imagine.

Hockeyfighter:
John,
I would contact Larry at ScubaToys.com They are local for me in Dallas so I visit them quite frequently. I bought from them on-line before I ever went to the store.
This is by far the best shop I have ever been in and extremly honest. (he will tell you if the more expensive piece you are looking at is crap over the cheaper) a month or so ago he had a huge overstock of Dacor (I think) BCs he was selling for $199.
I know that they will barter with you too. I have asked them "if I buy this too will you knock a bit of the price".
Tell them what you are willing to spend and he will set something up for you.

He already did...

John did contact scubatoys and this is how he can up with the for mention gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom