starter dive boat advice: metzler juca/15 hp motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barnacleben

Reaction score
hey divers!

i thank you for your time. i'm looking at an inexpensive inflatable boat for use around monterey (near shore) dive sites. i'm a novice with regard to outboard motors, inflatable verses RIB boats, et cetera. but i'm a quick learner too, and plan to take the coast guard auxilliary course and make ample practice runs before actually conducting my first boat dive.

with that said, i've found a old metzler juca inflatable with a 15 hp motor that was used by a scuba instructor and has been garaged for ten years! the motor still runs well (or at least is turned over and ran for us!) and it's clean looking inside with no corrosion. it's not exactly purring though, and it could certainly use a tune up. anyone know about tune ups for an outboard? i used to do all my own car stuff (filters, cap, rotor, plugs, jumper cables, etc.) but don't know if that translates to the 2-cycle environment. any advice on outboard motor maintenance (such as a FAQ) or info on a do-it-yourself tune-up would be most appreciated.

also, the boat itself needs a good day's worth of cleaning, sanding and glueing. ok, it's old and may require frequent glueing and reglueing, but i'm confidant it will all come together and serve once more as an ample little dive boat for two. anyone care to comment on the metzler boat or have other "starter dive boat" advice?

thanks so much,

ben

I have owned two inflatable boats and actually still own one of them. The first was an Achilles 12.5 and now a Novurania 13.5 which is actually a considerably larger boat.

I cannot actually recommend what you are doing. Glueing an inflatable back together that has started to come apart is rarely successful. Minor repairs yes but what you describe seems significant. They require special glues and processes and all in all you would be better off saving your money for something that is not falling apart.

Yes, I do know something about tuneups for outboards, smaller engines are quite simple. N

thanks for the fair warning nemrod. you may be correct and the boat is shot. i've been told that i need to look at this package as "buying a motor" and the other stuff is extras... worst case scenario, i may need to buy a new boat as you said. as for the motor, you said you're familiar with tune ups on small outboards. this evinrude is from the early eighties, and it's 15 hp. any specific advice or links for tune ups?
thanks,
ben

You may not know this and I forget what year it occured in the early 80s but the Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) and maker of Johnson outboards, Evinrude outboards and LawnBoy lawnmowers filed and went kapoot. The names were sold to Bombardier and Toro bought the LawnBoy name. What does this mean--quite possibly that engine is an orphan for which parts may not be easily found. Only Mercury, of the original half dozen or so US manufactuers of outboard and marine engines remains in buisness and healthy under the umbrella of the Brunswick corporation.

Small outboard engines of that era had CDI ignition and probably still used premix fuel. Usually a dissassembly of the cylinders and pistons with a mechanical decarboning (scraping the carbon and soaking in solvent) and cleaning of the ring lands does wonders. These carburated engines will need a new gasket set, a clean carb and new plugs. Manuals should be found on ebay or other places.

I will stick with my earlier statement, save your money for something a little more recent and useable and viable.

OK, how much, is this a couple of hundred or a what exactly?

N

Clean the filter and spray the carb out with carb cleaner then stick some new plugs in it and it should be fine, the motor anyways. The inflatable on the other hand, Hummm? There are good deals on boats out there, not sure this is one of them.

In my opinion 2-cycle is fairly different but similar at the same time as 4-cycle (confusing huh...). I would go get it checked out by a mechanic. I don't know about the boat though......10 years????

Nemrod:
You may not know this and I forget what year it occured in the early 80s but the Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) and maker of Johnson outboards, Evinrude outboards and LawnBoy lawnmowers filed and went kapoot. ...
I will stick with my earlier statement, save your money for something a little more recent and useable and viable.

OK, how much, is this a couple of hundred or a what exactly?

N
thanks again for your time,
good points nemrod. no i did not know about the consolidation or the potential for an "orhapned" motor. i have to stress that the motor looks extremely clean under the "hood." i started right up and ran fine. the previous (current) owner said that she always ran it completely dry of fuel when shutting it down, flushed it with fresh water after each dive, greased or lubricated (wd-40) the engine parts on a regular baisis, etc. the only reason i think it needs a tune up is that it really doesn't purr--but then it's a 2-stroke, and i'm not sure how they are supposed to idle. anyway, it's been garaged for ten years and wants some tlc. i just don't know if i can do it all myself. i'd like to, so that if it konks out when i'm using it i'll have a better idea about how to trouble shoot it. oh, as for the boat package she's asking $850, which includes the motor in good condition, boat in fair/poor/don't know condition, usual accessories (oars, anchor, transom wheels for beach hauling, diver down flag, floatable cushions, manual air pump, wheeled motor stand, 5 gallon PREMIXED gas can, and other stuff i can't think of right now.) i guess worst case scenario i can take all the goodies and motor and put it on a larger/newer/different inflatable.
peace,
ben

Oh, what the heck, just go get it.

Purr, not sure what your expecting, but it may just need a good running. You can probably dig up the needed parts for a rebuild or small repairs. N

there is a product called seafoam for cleaning carbs,only thing i found that works,you crank it,pours some in the carbs,then cut it off and let soak in for 5 mins,crank up and let run,will smoke alot for a couple minutes,but will clean all but the dirtiest carbs. probably need to change the impeller,the rubber is probably dryrotted,would cause the motor to overheat.

Good advice on the cooling impeller, yes, that will need replacement.

The SeaFoam is a decarboning agent/solvent. It is sprayed into the engine and then allowed to sit. It's primary purpose is removing carbon from the cylinders, pistons, ring grooves (that causes stuck rings on a two stroke and eventual seizing and failure). The product when used as recommended works well but nothing, NOTHING, works better than dissassembly and cleaning. If the interior is in good shape, I would deglaze the cylinders with a hone and go back with new rings. This assuming there is no galling or piston damage--which I doubt.

It is not that expensive a purchase, if the boat falls apart and the engine is not all that dandy it might make a heck of a party blender or look cool mounted in your hot tub. Everyone needs a few old lawnmowers and outboard engines cluttering their garages and patios. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom