start off with the right camera system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shane Gross

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
young photographer looking to get in the game.

i want to spend around $3000 on an underwater set-up (DSLR) maximizing quality (over simplicity).

i am hoping to get the camera, lenses, housing and strobe for the $3000.

i like to shoot mainly wide-angle, but macro is also of importance.

any advice on makes, models, brands and compatibility would be appreciated.

(i would consider moving to $4000 if the quality was (more than) that much higher)

thanks!

$3000 for an SLR system is a little low. For that budget, Id highly suggest getting a quality system like a Canon G10 in the Fisheye Fix housing, with a strobe, and wide angle lens. If your budget can be increased to $4000-4500 or so, you can get a nice DSLR system like the Rebel T1I in a Sea & Sea RDX housing with a strobe and all accessories.

I'd say check out the Ikelite range for housings as they are some of the lowest prices but excellent quality.

Canon or Nikon will come down to which you prefer and there are fanboys on either side who will say "oh, forget X, Y is SOOOO much better". Meh. Both companies have very good offerings and you can't go too wrong with any of the relatively new offerings.

As for lenses, check out the Sticky by clicking the link in my signature, as there is a bit of a list there with the top choices and a little information on each one.

Welcome to the money pit :)

young photographer looking to get in the game.

i want to spend around $3000 on an underwater set-up (DSLR) maximizing quality (over simplicity).

i am hoping to get the camera, lenses, housing and strobe for the $3000.

Yeah - let me know how that works out for ya!

:d

The $3k will get you a great camera and a lens or two...

or

The $3k will get you a housing, ports and a single strobe (you'll need/want two)

But you will not be able to get the whole kit for $3k. That's just reality.

Yeah - let me know how that works out for ya!

:d

The $3k will get you a great camera and a lens or two...

or

The $3k will get you a housing, ports and a single strobe (you'll need/want two)

But you will not be able to get the whole kit for $3k. That's just reality.

i was afraid of that and might have to go the used route.

what would you say i should try to budget for the whole kit?

Shane

Another option is to go for the Sea & Sea DX-2G Pro Package for $2400.00 including a TTL-strobe and wide angle lens. Not a DSLR but in my opinion of comparable quality and less bulky. So it is mainly a question why you want to go for a DSLR and pay a lot more. I don't know if you are a professional underwater photographer who needs a wide variety of lenses under water. Then you probably have to go for a DSLR with a house with a dome port that allows you to use a variety of lenses. I have a Nikon DSLR for use above water and the Sea&Sea DX-1G for use under water and I don't have the feeling that I miss anything under water.

I know next to nothing about housings, but I can tell you that if you go the used route, I would avoid first generation DSLR's.

I am a Nikon guy, and I would simply not consider buying a DSLR from them that does not have a CMOS sensor... so that makes buying used Nikon tricky.

The problem with buying used (at least in the Nikon line, which I know about) is the jump in quailty between the CMOS and CCD sensors... The D300 really is THAT much better than the D200 (I own both), the D90 really IS that much better than the D80, the D5000 is THAT much better than the D60, etc.

If I were buying a DSLR for underwater use (Which I am not), I would start looking with a D700 and go from there (full frame is the name of the game)... but that pretty much blows your entire budget on one camera and one lens...

You could look at something like a used D70, but frankly the image quality of that camera isn't as good as a D40 (again, I own both) for the same money you could buy a new D40 or a used D70.

I can't speak to Canon stuff other than I they make some great cameras too.

Great info everyone! it looks like i'm going to have to re-think my budget, or not go with a DSLR.

Thanks again, as you can tell i'm new to this and have a lot to learn.

keep the advice coming - i feel like i've saved myself hours and hours of research by posting this, which is the sign of a great community.

Shane

Shane:

Dan's H2O Insurance is very good, and very reasonably priced. I always recommend everyone get insurance!

Back
Top Bottom