Starnes Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellabella

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I read in a book specifically written for
texas diving spots about Strarnes Island. We hang out there alot and now that we're OW certifed, would like to dive thre. The book
I read said that there was an airplane/car submerged at 25 and 60 feet. We dove one tank each SAT. @ the island but saw nothing but an old 6 lb/ anchor and a bunch of coke cans

Have not seen an Airplane or a car there. I thought those were at Mansfield park.

There are two boats on the Volente Beach side of the island. Currently the motorboat is about 37' closer to the east end ot the Volents side. The sailboat is about 10' deeper and more towards the middle of the Volente side of the island.

Only made three dives there and that is all I have seen.

I dive from my Baja H2X so if you see me come say HI.

Chad

I have made many dives at Strarnes Island and I ahve never seen a plane or sunken boat there.
I have been all around the island to 130ft and there is a lot of nothing. nice dives fun place to hang out but nothing to see.

I am not aware of a plane off Starnes Island either. There is a cessna fuselage off the dive area at Mansfield Park. There used to be a car in the cove at Mansfield Park many years ago, but a certain dive instructor tried to move it to Windy Point and lost the car somewhere in-between the two locations.
There is supposed to be an old bridge off of Highland Lakes Marina between there and Starnes Island. Of course, there is the old screening plant between Sometimes Island and Hippie Hollow area, but that was torn down and dumped into the river channel.

I had heard that there was a town around there that was submerged when the river was dammed up to make the lake, but I didn't see anything on my one dive around there... Frankly, it got so dark after the thermoclime that I wouldn't have seen anything before bumping into it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom