Starfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This guy is about 5" long (wide?), and is at the North Point site of San Pedro Island in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. The area is mostly rocky. I couldn't see it well in the dark, but the picture didn't help one bit! :)

This is not a 'normal' starfish, if indeed that is what it is. The 'normal' ones are green with black spikes, and occasionally gray with black and orange spikes.

Attachments

• San Pedro 20100905-2 North Point (19).jpg
    San Pedro 20100905-2 North Point (19).jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 131
Come to the Pacific Northwest, you'll see thirty different kinds. They are every possible color in the rainbow: all on one dive.

Apparently there are over 1,800 (2,000 according to WIKI) different species of stars. Good luck identifying yours!

Come to the Pacific Northwest, you'll see thirty different kinds. They are every possible color in the rainbow: all on one dive.

Apparently there are over 1,800 (2,000 according to WIKI) different species of stars. Good luck identifying yours!

:cold:

I don't think this is a Spiny Sea star Paraniopsis inflata as they seem to have a little longer arms than this one, and are more "spiny".

This looks to me more like a Cushion Sea Star (the juveniles don't show the geometric pattern) or it could even be the rarer Blunt-armed Sea Star that comes in a great variety of colors like red. These 2 occur in the Caribbean/Atlantic though. Don't know if they are also in the Mexican Pacific.

Well it could be in the Genus Pentaceraster, though the tubercles are usually much more "orderly" in that Genus. Tricky with that angle of view.

Back
Top Bottom