"standard" pony size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
is there a standard pony bottle size? im thinking most folks go with a 30 cu ft cylinder for dives unders 130ft? im looking to pick one up and would rather go with a 30 than a 19

I use a 30. A good size for recreational use. BTW I have a set of poney tamers to sell if your interested.

If you're just looking to use it for emergency situations, then 30's are very nice. I use 40's for deco gas, and also I'm a pretty big guy (about 6 foot 3) and I find the longer 40's sit nicer than the shorter 30's when I have them slung to the side. I tried a 30 and kept hitting it with my leg when swimming. If you have buddies or an LDS that will set you up to try one, play with a few sizes and see what works for you.

In water I found very little difference between the 30's and 40's. I went for a 40 simply because it makes sense down the road.

I have no idea if that is "standard" for a pony, but I can tell you that it seems rather standard for 'ocean deco' :)

I don't think there's a standard, but I also use AL40s for my slung bottles, whether for deco or redundancy. I started out with a 19, and I still have it... I hook my regs up to it when I rinse them in the tub, and I haven't had to get it filled in years.

I recommend going with either a 30 or 40... in fact, I recommend a 40. It'll be great for what you want now, it'll be something you can keep finding useful if you ever progress into deco/technical diving, and it's something you can get a good return on if you ever decide it isn't right for you and want to sell it used.

I am looking to get a pony too and I was thinking more of a 19CF because of size and weight. Do not the bigger thanks get in the way?

ams511:
I am looking to get a pony too and I was thinking more of a 19CF because of size and weight. Do not the bigger thanks get in the way?

I never find them in the way, but it depends how they are mounted I guess. I sling mine, and I actually prefer the bigger one slung, it rides better. I suppose if it was mounted on the tank then in theory the smaller one would be less noticeable, but I can't really comment on that since I've only ever done one dive with a pony on the tank.

Just to add one alternate view...

Yes, I use a 19, not a 30, have been quite happy with it.

I absolutely have nothing against larger tanks, if people use them, but in the area I dive I haven't seen anyone actually use a 30 as a pony. I have, indeed, seen tech divers using 30s and 40s, but for standard open water diving I've only seen 19s and 13s.

A 19 will get me up from the depths I dive, cleanly (with safety stop). A 19 transports easily, so I can take it on vacation (a 19 just fits in my luggage setup, so a 30 would be a true bear). If I ever decide to go tech, the price of a 30 or 40 sure isn't going to be what breaks the bank, and since a 19 works with the diving I'm doing now that is by definition good gear for me.

My Instructor bought a 30, early, never uses it -- finds it a PITA.

Whatever you buy, practice with it, actually make it a regular part of your gear -- a pony is useless if it ends up sitting back at home, or on shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom