Standard gasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The math isn’t complicated, the notion of someone banking 28% is
The neat thing about EAN28 is one can dive it (open circuit) to the recreational training depth limit of 130 ffw and NOT exceed a PO2 of 1.4 ATA.

rx7diver

The math isn’t complicated, the notion of someone banking 28% is

EAN 28 is actually popular here because a German U boat sits at...... 130 fsw

This is maybe a GUE standard gas for suit gas and tires, but not for dil... ;-)
I stand corrected... However... it is used as the first gas on your CCR1 class. Even if you are trained within GUE, if all you can get is air... then you can absolutely dive with air.

it is used as the first gas on your CCR1 class.
Not as a standard. We started with NX32, which imho is a very "bad" gas for a breather with 2 x 7L Dil bottles. With a rebreather you want to have your rig as balanced as possible. And 3.5kg of gas in this case are a pita...

I finally got a chance to read the original thread that this was forked from. What a shame. Bottom line is that it was a (very) poor Diluent gas choice for the planned depth.

I know Helium isn't cheap or easily available in some locales, but it is "relatively cheap" in a rebreather and certainly not worth dying for. I can get 3-4 dives on a 3L Dil tank. I never skimp on Helium and will happily pay the "helium penalty" in deco time.

- brett

I have never seen a eanx for dilluent in Europe, probably because we don't bank nitrox that often.
In what case would a 32% dill be usefull?
It's pretty useful in MX on CCR. It's not very deep for the general Tulum area caves and using nitrox helps avoid every tiny dil addition messing with your ppO2 and requiring an O2 addition to bump your fO2 back up.

I have never seen a eanx for dilluent in Europe, probably because we don't bank nitrox that often.
In what case would a 32% dill be usefull?

what @rjack321 said but it applies everywhere. Most of the caves in Florida are in the 60-100ft range so instead of a dil ppO2 of .6-.8 you're at .9-1.2. When compounded with sawtooth profiles it keeps the loop ppO2 from crashing so hard on descent when you are adding dil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom