Stand alone depth gauge and compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does he see his depth gauge when his hand is on his butt dump? If the depth gauge is on the right hand it can be seen while ascending and descending.

He dives a recreational setup, with a computer. The DG is a backup, likes it there when he's using a compass. I understand your question however, depending on how the rest of the gear was rigged it could be problematic.

Steve

Thanks guys. I ordered the spg and hose. Can someone link me to the page that has the directions for tying in the snap block? I've seen it here before but couldn't find it on a search. I know it's just a knot, but I would like to do it correctly.

cable tie works as good, if not better

cable tie works as good, if not better

I would disagree. The preference against cable ties is that it breaks when twisted and can't be cut easily.
This lends itself to situations where you can break your connection when you don't want it to.
And you would either need room to maneuver your arm to forcefully slice the cable tie, or spend a while sawing into it (unless you had shears)

Nylon line on the other hand is flexible to twisting and can easily be cut. This lends itself to breaking only when you purposely want it to.
And you can easily cut through it just using some wrist sawing action. So if you're tangled and pinned very close to an obstruction, you can still cut away in no time.

Likelihood of those situations aside.

I haven't seen that many zip ties break when they weren't supposed to, especially on something as relatively stationary as an SPG. That being said, all of my stuff is tied in, but I carry a Z-knife with me always. Without a Z-knife, zip ties are much easier to get out of than having to cut line with shears or a regular knife.

I've seen my fair share break on a work boat. Recreational Dive boat where you're gear is spaced relatively clean, not so much an issue unless you snag yourself pulling out of your cubby.

When your gear's piled into a RHIB or worse, a 12ft Gamefisher, guarantee you're losing zip tie connections to slates, SPGS, meter tapes, etc etc.
Once gear starts getting pulled from the middle onto the benches, you're snagging everything. It takes a real dedicated and clean-freak minded crew to avoid that. And you don't get that on a work boat because often times you're a *insert job career* first, diver second.
That's where my disdain for zip ties came from. :D

Line connected items, they'll take a beating for seasons and seasons.
Will you have to replace your zip tie connections often in the rec world? No, probably not. But I don't like that they can't take a twist load on them, they require a shears/bolt cutter for clean application, and plastic waste (not that nylon line is wonderfully better, it just lasts longer).

Thanks everyone. My 2.5" SPG from Dive Gear Express came in today. It was pre-assembled on the 26" hose that I ordered. I put it on my first stage in place of the other mess that I had. This was my first time messing with anything threaded into my first stage, but it was shockingly easy. Just hand tight, plus a little bit and it was good. I checked it on my tank and it was good to go. I'll hopefully have it in the water next week.

Also, I tied on a snap block as described and it clips nicely to one of my left side D rings. So much nicer than that bit console mess.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom