Stainless steel snap bolt vs brass snap bolt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have seen for sale stainless steel snap bolts and brass snap bolts. Should I give any preference?

I have both. Now I only buy SS. I like the bigger ones too. Easier to use with thick gloves.

The brass ones have a tendency to form sharp edges and cut your fingers on them. Go for SS.

But make sure you get the SS ones with the SS springs. The ones at Lowes or Home Depot likely don't. I only sell the ones with SS springs. As far as size goes I carry two different ones. The large ones have a 1 1/8 ring and are more for things like stage bottles and those who only dive cold water. The mediums have a 5/8 loop and work nice with spg's, back up lights, and the primary on a long hose set up.

Brass tends to tarnish and get boogered up diving salt water. Freshwater is not as bad but you still need to rinse them good.

The SS ones with SS springs will be a bit more (say 7.00 for a medium SS vs 3.00 for brass) but you'll be replacing them after years instead of after several dives or maybe a season if you're lucky.

As others have said (and I am sure will continue to say)... SS is a much better long-term option. I find that brass snaps get 'sticky' after a while. Even with quarterly dunk in an ultrasound cleaner and proper lubrication, brass snaps become an annoyance compared to decent marine-grade SS snaps. As Jim L. says... make sure the SS snaps have stainless springs also..

Decent brass snaps work fine for many, many years. You may have to put a drop of oil in them from time to time and work them to make sure they operate easily, but they will work fine. I've been meaning to get SS snaps for about 3 dozen years now, but the brass one just seem to keep working.

The best brass ones are better than the worst stainless ones. I recommend spending the dollhairs to get high quality stainless ones. Buy it nice or buy it twice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom