Stainless steel or rubber straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at the Apollo Bio fins and am trying to decide if I should get them with a factory installed stainless steel spring strap or just go with the rubber strap. Are the steel straps a gimmick or are they worth the extra money?

1. How common is it for rubber straps to break?
2. Do the steel straps loosen much less than rubber ones?
3. Are there any drawbacks to buying them with rubber straps and installing steel straps later if I decide I want them?

I cannot recall a rubber strap breaking on me in use but I am sure somewhere one did. I have seen other people with rotten junky equipment travel 1,000 miles to dive without checking their equipment over or having spares but I do know for a fact that a Halycon high dollars spring strap broke on me in use, on the third dive. N

I've had a pair with the rubber straps for a few years and I never adjust them or unbuckle them, I just yank/stretch the rubber straps over my heels to get them on and off, and I'm hard on gear generally and I haven't broken one yet (so far). I'm sure the springs are great as well but my 2 cents is those rubber straps are tough; ymmv.

i LOVE spring staps...

yes the rubber staps should do you well for a long time but i voting to go springs

cheers

Rubber straps are fine but I do love my spring straps. They are so much easier to get on and off. Gimmick- not in my opinion. I don't care for the ones with all the extra fluff - plastic this and that and pull rings, plain ones work fine. I think if it were me, I would go with the standard rubber straps and then add aftermarket springs. Then carry the rubber ones as spares for yourself and others.

Rubber straps are fine but I do love my spring straps. They are so much easier to get on and off. Gimmick- not in my opinion. I don't care for the ones with all the extra fluff - plastic this and that and pull rings, plain ones work fine. I think if it were me, I would go with the standard rubber straps and then add aftermarket springs. Then carry the rubber ones as spares for yourself and others.

I really appreciate this series of posts. I have two sets (in case I lose one in or out of our murky waters) of rubber strapped Apollos - they work great for me. But I've always wondered if I'm missing something by not having the spring straps. After what Herman said, I bet the next question will be, "Is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the Bios with factory or after-market springs?

drdaddy

Another consideration - if you have "heavy feet" the spring straps will only add to the problem. I have had one rubber strap break (1200+ dives) and I carry a backup set in my bag.

I've had rubber straps break, and they were well cared for w/o any visible cracks. I now use springs and don't think it's a gimmick. I'd go for the factory installed springs and have the piece of mind.

Last edited:
The Apollo catalog states the following:

"The bio-fin c-series is the only split-fin with a foot pocket specifically
molded for a spring strap system. Rather than attaching hardware
to a post; it is integrated into foot pocket wall. A smooth stainless
steel plate sits flush with interior wall of foot pocket. Support posts
welded to plate run through the foot pocket wall. Strap and other
exterior hardware are then tightened down with screws.NEW bio-fin
PRO-C White"

This suggests to me that by getting it factory installed it has a foot pocket molded differently then the ones without the strap. Anyone know anything about this? Does it make a difference if it is factory installed or purchased pre-installed?

I really appreciate this series of posts. I have two sets (in case I lose one in or out of our murky waters) of rubber strapped Apollos - they work great for me. But I've always wondered if I'm missing something by not having the spring straps. After what Herman said, I bet the next question will be, "Is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the Bios with factory or after-market springs?

drdaddy

I don't think the foot pock is any different in regards to fit. The factory springs are nicely implemented & my guess is buying that way will cost less than buying the fins & then paying for aftermarket springs to fit them.

Back
Top Bottom