Stainless LP Inflator Valve, What's the Story??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I have the chance to buy 2 Halcyon used Eclipse wings. Both are about 4 years old and in great condition. However, both have the stainless LP inflator, the so-called "newer" version with the groove.

I have been reading up on the SS inflators. They seem to be extremely problem-prone in a very bad way. Halcyon's site says they have recalled well over 90% of them.

Is this true of the "newer" version? Is Halcyon replacing these on recall even if you buy a used one?

If not, how much does it cost to switch out the SS inflator for a new one? I don't want to take any chances.

I really would like a reply from Halcyon on this. I won't be upset if they don't replace on a used one but I just would like to know if it is needed and how much it costs.

Guy

Hi,
I really would like a reply from Halcyon on this. I won't be upset if they don't replace on a used one but I just would like to know if it is needed and how much it costs.
I had a plastic inflator (still got metal parts on the inside) on my evolve 40 corrode into autoinflate hell, even after service it would work for 2-3 dives before it would start to autoinflate again (shame on me for trying oh so many times to fix it instead of just getting a new one).

I decided to shell out the 30 or so bucks for a new halcyon one (that looks exactly like the one on my hollis singles wing) after I had it autoinflate on a dive with quite some deco left.
If your lucky your LDS might have some around for cheap after they sold poodle jackets "upgraded" with air2 or similar to new divers.

Guy, 90%+ of the original versions were successfully recalled and replaced
with the newer versions. The newer version functions correctly, BUT, it
requires regular maintenance depending on the amount of diving you do.
Halcyon marketing research and feedback indicated that while most divers
agreed with the design concept of a serviceable inflator, most were
unwilling or unprepared to perform or schedule the service in a timely
manner. It was ultimately decided some time in 2006 to return to the
non-serviceable OEM industry standard inflator that requires replacement
every few years. This decision seemed to be the best compromise for most
divers and Halcyon has been pleased with the result for the past 5 years.
For more information please contact Corey in Halcyon Tech Services or your
local Halcyon dealer.

techservices@halcyon.net or 800 425 2966 x 307 a call would be best I think

Good diving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom