stages of a photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_Boy

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just wanted to share this graphic with everybody…. it's represents the stages of a photographer on land but I think still applies for U/W.

A lot of people at my LDS have expensive camera gear and they all think their photos are great when in reality they suck. Doesn't mean your photos are good because you have good gear. Only passion and relentless practice makes good photos.

photographer-graph-1024x858.png

LOL, I got a good chuckle out of the graph :)

Many great UW photographs violate nearly if not all the "thumb rules" of photography.

Many great UW photographs that do appear to follow the "thumb rules" were cropped to appear to follow the "thumb rules."

Trial and error. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Shoot, review and shoot again.

You can get an Oly 5050 and Oly Housing for less than $200 (eBay?); shoot in RAW, keep the sun behind you, shoot shallow reef scenes at ~5 degree angle above horizontal, and with the right subject any dufus can take a great UW photograph.

Nice... I once had to train a bunch of new photographers (winners of a Canon contest) how to use a SLR, so they could do a photo shoot of a young Cheryl Teags.

Was not invited to the the shoot (hired help and all that), but I did get to see their photos....I learned that some things are so beautiful, that all you have to do is get the exposure right and you are there.

Other stuff, not so much.

This reminds me of a group photo at a recent HS reunion where most people in the group had given their cameras to the photographer. Everyone maintained the same posture and smiled on command for approximately 10 different shots. Just when we thought we were done, a woman in the group handed her giant camera to the photographer and proclaimed loudly she was a professional photographer and that hers was the 'real camera' and she'd send the photo for $5 - a discount form her usual rate. I felt speechless standing there (believe me, that never happens). When the photographer snapped the shot, I could see hands in the air, and lots of funny faces all around me. The best scene was all the laughter after the photos were done!

halemanō;5840244:
Many great UW photographs that do appear to follow the "thumb rules" were cropped to appear to follow the "thumb rules."

I started "cropping" photographs in the 7th grade with a black and white enlarger to change composition a little here and there and have never stopped.

When someone asks me if I cropped a picture I just shrug and say, um...probably. Yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom