stage one and console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorcher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Mares regulator. About a year ago we changed the console. We went diving a week ago in Roatan and noticed that my console always showed 200-300 less PSI. Went to the dive shop here at home and had a valve replaced in the console. It still shows less pressure than our other regulator. Could this be stage 1 or what could be the reason for this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The gauge is a mechanical gadget that can wear out. Just replace if it's causing you concern. What were you comparing it to in order to figure out that it's reading too low?

I have a Mares regulator. About a year ago we changed the console. We went diving a week ago in Roatan and noticed that my console always showed 200-300 less PSI. Went to the dive shop here at home and had a valve replaced in the console. It still shows less pressure than our other regulator. Could this be stage 1 or what could be the reason for this?
Some of the terminology you are using is making it a bit difficult to follow, but I think I got the gist.

Console = SPG (Submersible Pressure Gauge)
Stage 1 = 1st Stage of regulator
Valve in console = I'm assuming this means the spool as I don't know of any valve between the 1st stage and SPG

So if my understanding is accurate, your SPG was reading low. Took to your local dive shop and they replaced the spool. The spool is just a small metal tube with o-rings that allows the SPG to swivel without leaking. So, as long as the spool is not leaking or clogged, there is no reason to replace it.

Can't think of a 1st stage issue that could lead to this. The SPG hooks up to the high pressure port. This is essentially open to the tank pressure, so you'd either read nothing or the tank pressure. 1st stage issues can lead to varying pressure at the low pressure ports, but not the HP port.

SPG is most likely bad. Replace it. If the new one reads as expected, then you found the issue. If it still reads 200-300 PSI low, then the problem is probably the dive shop pressure gauge reads too high.

The gauge is a mechanical gadget that can wear out. Just replace if it's causing you concern. What were you comparing it to in order to figure out that it's reading too low?
So we tried different regulators and they all read the same except mine. I am going to replace it. It is still under warranty as far as I know. Thank you for your reply :)

Some of the terminology you are using is making it a bit difficult to follow, but I think I got the gist.

Console = SPG (Submersible Pressure Gauge)
Stage 1 = 1st Stage of regulator
Valve in console = I'm assuming this means the spool as I don't know of any valve between the 1st stage and SPG

So if my understanding is accurate, your SPG was reading low. Took to your local dive shop and they replaced the spool. The spool is just a small metal tube with o-rings that allows the SPG to swivel without leaking. So, as long as the spool is not leaking or clogged, there is no reason to replace it.

Can't think of a 1st stage issue that could lead to this. The SPG hooks up to the high pressure port. This is essentially open to the tank pressure, so you'd either read nothing or the tank pressure. 1st stage issues can lead to issues in varying pressure at the low pressure ports, but not the HP port.

SPG is most likely bad. Replace it. If the new one reads as expected, then you found the issue. If it still reads 200-300 PSI low, then the problem is probably the dive shop pressure gauge reads too high.
Thank you!!! We tried different regulators and they all read the same except mine. I do think the SPG is bad, and I am going to replace it. Thanks for the explanation. That all makes sense!!! :)

Thank you!!! We tried different regulators and they all read the same except mine. I do think the SPG is bad, and I am going to replace it. Thanks for the explanation. That all makes sense!!! :)
No problem.

Since you mentioned console, I’m assuming that your SPG is in a console with a depth gauge or computer. You don’t need to replace all of that. Just get an SPG that is the same size, and it can pop into place. The old one may need a little motivation to remove. A warm to hot (not scalding) water soak will help make the console boot a bit more flexible.

No problem.

Since you mentioned console, I’m assuming that your SPG is in a console with a depth gauge or computer. You don’t need to replace all of that. Just get an SPG that is the same size, and it can pop into place. The old one may need a little motivation to remove. A warm to hot (not scalding) water soak will help make the console boot a bit more flexible.
That's a great idea!!!!!
So, I contacted Mares about it and they want me to send the console in. Yes, it is a console with a depth gauge. I guess they want to replace the whole thing.....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom