Stage & Deco Bottles Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For cold water, Scuba Pro regs are total crap. If you dive in warmer water, then they are great. I had a MK25 S600 combo that froze on me at 42 meters, and honestly it scared the hell out of me since it was starting my deco. After that I switched to Apeks ATX 50 for all my regs. Since then I have seen 4 people suffer the same problem as I had, and now every one of them use Apeks. The ATX 50 It is especially perfect for deco and stage bottles because it swivels to allow you the proper comfortable position for the regs. Also Apeks will not freeze, lock up or give you any problems at all.

by the way, when I spoke with SP about my reg freezing, they told me since I bought my reg from the internet, the warranty was not valid, and they refused to help me. Apeks has unconditional warranty service.

I thought DIR divers dont use the Apeks DST's because the turret is another failure point. Have you talked to George about this, oops I mean Trey sorry for the mix up. I think you better give him a call and ask his permission or he might not be your freind anymore.:rolleyes:

I think the DS4 is perfered over the DST for deco regs because of the DSTs extra ( potential ) failure point.

I use DS4 TX50s for backgas and my backup. I use DS4 G250 and DS4 R190 on my deco bottles.

andy

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
by the way, when I spoke with SP about my reg freezing, they told me since I bought my reg from the internet, the warranty was not valid, and they refused to help me. Apeks has unconditional warranty service.

Hey, if you work for a dive shop, why did you buy through an internet supplier?

There are two reasons for a reg to free flow. One they are not set up properly and two they are being over worked.

I wonder maybe someone was were they shouldn't have been.

I myself use MK16's for back gas and MK20's for deco. 250 feet has not created problems so far.

T

you guys who are buying the scubapro mk 16's.. lol i hope you don't have to service them yourself!!!! its a night mare inside those things. everything has to be replaced..lol trust scuba pro to design somthing like that.. stick with something simple and fool poof.. either the apeks DS4 or oceanic DX4 both are bullit proof and work at all depths

When I bought my MK25 S600 I was not working for a dive shop, so hence the reason why I bought it from the internet.

The issue of regs freeflowing because they are over worked is a total bunk statement. these regulators are advertised and supposed to be complete workhorses.

If you must know upon inspection of my reg it had a torn o-ring in the first stage and the working pressure had been set to 10.5 (all from the factory). In addition, the SP is a piston reg, and very prone to free flowing.

Was I where I should not have been?

If you think 42 meters in open water in the middle of the summer is where you should not be, then I think you are missing out on a lot of diving, and I also think that most everyone regularly dives to those depths.

Since I have had my Apeks regs I have not had 1 single free flow, or any other problem, and I have been diving in temperatures well below -20c at surface and only +2 in the water.

I think that speaks for itself

scuba_guy:

I've been inside my MK16's numerous times. Other than three seemingly extraneous plastic parts, there is nothing nightmarish about these regs. Also, rebuild kits don't cost anymore than for any other reg I've ever fooled with. You should play with a Posiden sometime.

So then if you feel that it was prone to free flow, why would you have purchased a SP piston reg. Also if it had a torn o-ring then the reg it's self was not the issue.

Lets face it there is no reg out there guaranteed not to free flow. The best you can do is service them and have them tuned properly.

T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom