Stage and Deco Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McCainiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone used the DIR Strap that Dive Gear Express sells?

$55 seems a bit steep. I purchased several stage rigging kits from www.DiveSeekers.com that come with everything you need for $37. If you have flat-head screwdriver and can tie a knot you're good to go with these packages:

DR-GM2053-DIR-2.jpg

80cf DIR Stage Rigging Kit at www.DiveSeekers.com

40cf DIR Stage Rigging Kit at www.DiveSeekers.com

Not sure why, but the DiveRite version with a strap routed through tri-glides (vs "standard" approach of using a nylon cord) doesn't seem right to me. Heck, they even go as far as to say "It's better than round cord because it does not stretch" but we all learned on day 1 of our very first open water course that nylon webbing DOES stretch when it gets wet.

If you're intent on spending $55 per kit then DiveSeekers.com has the Halcyon 40cf and 80cf kits, each if which comes with choice of tank marking decals which at least gives you something "extra" for the extra money. (Sorry, no blue H's on them though.)

Stage/Deco Rigging Kits at www.DiveSeekers.com

They are also DiveRite dealers, so can help you compare and contrast between the three different options. Give Wayne or Jason a call - they'll hook you up with whichever option is right for you.

Last edited:
Homemade DIR/HOG Stage Rigging

That is how I make all of my stage kits.

1+. I did the exact same thing, using that website's instructions. It is the most economical (and "user-adjustable") way to go.

I was lucky and had most of the stuff laying around, and just needed to buy the bolt snaps.

But the link RJP provided makes for convenient "one-stop shopping", and the price is reasonable when you factor in not having to run around looking for the various components.

Best wishes.

Yes. I have also used the Halcyon rigging kit, to which the DR DIR rigging is very similar. Both work well, and I would have a hard time saying one was 'better' than the other. I have also used the standard (if there is such a thing these days) DR stage rigging kit ('strap routed through tri-glides'), and it works equally well, and is less expensive. Initially, I thought it would be less reliable but I haven't had any problems with the webbing slipping through the tri-glides. One difference between the two DR kits is the size of the bolt snaps, with the DIR kit (and the Halcyon rigging kit) having smaller (medium, vs extra large) bolt snaps. With neoprene gloves, I prefer the larger snaps on the DR standard rigging, but I can still manage to manipulate the smaller snaps. As several have posted, you can make your own rigging kit, probably for a little less money, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. That way, you can also choose the size of the bolt snaps, the type of strapping (braided cord vs 1 inch webbing), etc.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone and I ended up going with the DIR from DGE along with a few other things. :) My first bottle should be complete by the end of the week!

Luxfer AL40
Mares Rebel 12 Nitrox Reg
DIR Stage Strap
Termo 2 inch SPG

Yes and its ok until you know better. The clips are much bigger than they need to be (which take up alot of space on drings and can lead you to double clipping stuff). The tail section (below the hose) is too short. They DR elastic hose retainers are often too tight and make it really hard to restow hoses with cold hands.

Nice idea, so-so execution.

Yes and its ok until you know better. The clips are much bigger than they need to be (which take up alot of space on drings and can lead you to double clipping stuff). The tail section (below the hose) is too short. They DR elastic hose retainers are often too tight and make it really hard to restow hoses with cold hands.

Nice idea, so-so execution.

Dive Rite or Dive Gear Express DIR Strap? Getting different answers here!!!

At this point I'll post some pictures and then give a review after I get it in the water.....

Last edited:
Dive Rite or Dive Gear Express DIR Strap? Getting different answers here!!!

Sorry by strap I thought you meant the dive-rite strap. I had to go look up the dive gear express DIR "strap" which is actually made out of cord. Its fine except they girth hitched the lower snap to the cord. It can come off that way (although not likely). Better to have the cord through lower snap's ring.

We sell more of they Halcyon Kits. IMO, here is why:
1. Already tied & set up
2. The line is thicker
3. Choice of Depth Decal (Qnty 2)

For the DiveRite kits that we sell, it is mainly Price Point.

Either route you go, you are not making a mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom