Stacking of Inon UCL165

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to stack a couple of UCL165s together to increase the magnification but am curious on the effect on focal length. Would the stacking increase/decrease or maintain the focal length of a 1 add-on setup?

alcina...when you wake up.....what's the DOF on a single UCL165? I need to conquer that one before I start stacking them!

I used to use stacked Inon ULC 165s with my Oly C5050. In comparison to one macro lens, the camera will focus a bit closer (2-3 inches in front of the lenses) to the subject but you also gain quite a bit more magnification as well. The downside is that it is more difficult to focus properly. Zoom all the way in at 105mm in macro mode, the camera would not focus most of the time so I ended up leaving the zoom at around 80mm. Depth of field also becomes quite a bit smaller.

Dee:
alcina...when you wake up.....what's the DOF on a single UCL165? I need to conquer that one before I start stacking them!

I have no earthly idea...rand could help. Boy, I'm useless today :wink:

I haven't used just one more than like one time and it didn't do much for me benefit-wise, I didn't think.

Go on, just jump in and go double!!!

Question if I may, When you refer to stacking does that mean that you screw your 1st lens to your housing (67mm) then screw the 2nd lens over the first?
I assume there is a thread on the lens to allow the 2nd lens to screw over it, is this correct?
I have not actually seen a UCL165 lens so unsure about this.

Thanks Alcina I am more the wiser..........

Correct me if I'm wrong but not all macro lenses have threads on both sides, allowing them to be stacked. I think ULCS is the only one.

Dee:
Correct me if I'm wrong but not all macro lenses have threads on both sides, allowing them to be stacked..

I am pretty sure you are entirely correct about that. I can only comment on the Inon 165 macros that I have and they are threaded on both sides allowing easy stacking with no adaptor things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom