St Thomas/US Virgin Islands / Any Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRH--3mm in May should keep you comfortable. You might even be ok in your vest and board shorts. I live here, so I get cold easier.

The Bare ElasteK is a 7mm hooded step-in vest, still OK for the warmer water?

Thanks.

George

I choose to rent my gear which at Red hook is included in the cost. I used one of their 5mm shorty's and I was very comfortable. The equipment there was all in great condition. It was nice to let someone else worry about cleaning up for a change. I did take my own mask though...

GRH, Enjoy your trip...You wont be disappointed.

My wife and I are heading to St. Thomas the first week of May but my wife is not a diver and I just recently got certified but do want to sneak a few dives in while I am there.

What is recommended for exposure protection? I assume a 3mm wetsuit is the norm but coming from Seattle’s cooler water temperatures I currently dive dry and also have a Bare 7mm Elastek full and 7mm Elastek hooded vest. Would I be too warm if I used just the full or just the vest? I can spring for a 3mm if needed but wouldn’t mind getting by with what I have.

Thanks.

I had the same thought about exposure protection, and I think for me at least a 3mm shorty will do.

I had the same thought about exposure protection, and I think for me at least a 3mm shorty will do.

I hate the cold but I do most of my dives here in PR and USVI in nothing but a long sleve rash guard and trunks. I have a 1.5mm one piece but I only use it when the days are cloudy and that is not much. I just make sure when I get back on the boat to dry off and sun a little until the next dive........ I have watched so many people lug around heavy wet suits on their vacations and I just wonder why........ but that is just me.......

If you really think you need the wet suit a 1.5 or 3mm shory will do......

The Bare ElasteK is a 7mm hooded step-in vest, still OK for the warmer water?

Thanks.

George.

George, I think a 7mm hooded vest would be too hot in May. Water temp today (April 1) is 77 degrees. It is usually warmer this time of year. I had on my 5mm suit and was comfortable. I think anyone will be comfortable in May wearing a 3mm suit.

Will be @ St Thomas for 1 day on a cruise ship May 21st I believe & have a couple questions -------(1) which dive ops pick you @ the ship....(2) which one's dive the Rhone(sounds like a good dive??)......TIA, & appreciate the info given so far.....Joe......

I have also booked a trip St. Thomas, and this thread has been very informative. We will be staying at Frenchmen's Reef, and will be there the week between Christmas and New Year's. Are there any suggestions for that time frame? I have heard good things about Admiralty Divers, and we do plan on renting a car, at least for a couple of days. Also, my two kids (15 & 12) are getting certified this summer and I'm looking for dive spots to take them that would be good for new divers. Thanks

Ive heard good things about Admitality, but have only dove with Red Hook. As for taking the kids, I will say that Red hook caters to a smaller crowd, 12 I believe it the max number of divers thay will take. Check out thier website www.redhookdivecenter.com

We dove with Aqua Marine out of Bluebeard's Beach Club for a week in December, and they were also top notch. Wolf, Anna, and their staff made us feel like family (in a good way!). Their boats are top notch, gear, too, and a rum punch for the ride back after the last dive didn't hurt either!!! Favorite wreck that Wolf took us to was the WIT Shoal. I agree with everyone else, though. If you can get over to the Bvi, you must dive the Rhone!

Ive heard good things about Admitality, but have only dove with Red Hook. As for taking the kids, I will say that Red hook caters to a smaller crowd, 12 I believe it the max number of divers thay will take. Check out thier website www.redhookdivecenter.com

Booked with Admiralty......will post a report when get back......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom