Trip Report St Thomas, Secret Harbor Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep hoping I'll find some yellow head jawfish that will let me get close - but no, they pop down in their holes
When we dove the Cartanza Senora Shipwreck the guide took us away from the engine room to the commemorative plaque we saw dozens of these little guys ...

Hope you get to see them .. shy but so cool. Nathalie wrote it up on her blog too.
Stole a pic below :)

Cheers
Jaan

1659978959076.png

When we dove the Cartanza Senora Shipwreck the guide took us away from the engine room to the commemorative plaque we saw dozens of these little guys ...

Hope you get to see them .. shy but so cool. Nathalie wrote it up on her blog too.
Stole a pic below :)

Cheers
Jaan

View attachment 737071
Whenever I see them they're usually in a sandy bottom with rubble around - not in the grass like this. I wonder if the grass mimics some sort of 'cover' for them so they come out more? Great pic!

@Jaan those are the ones and yes, we did all sections of the ship, the plaque, then back over/thru/around the boulders. Fields of the jaw fish! Had to be 40 of them and they were dancing a foot or 2 off seafloor. My nephew said he got some up close GoPro footage. No one else seemed interested in them, whereas I was enthralled.

@Jaan those are the ones and yes, we did all sections of the ship, the plaque, then back over/thru/around the boulders. Fields of the jaw fish! Had to be 40 of them and they were dancing a foot or 2 off seafloor. My nephew said he got some up close GoPro footage. No one else seemed interested in them, whereas I was enthralled.
Exactly like our dive .... we even waived the other divers and pointed and they ... just moved on seemingly uninterested too. Oh well. Nice memories for us .. thank you for that reminder of the 'fields of jawfish' :)
Could not have said it better

@Jersey, we don't mind staying shallow, but it's because we want to spend a long dive looking for macro. How's the macro stuff there? Any chance there are frogfish???
I don't know about STT, but at the pier in Frederiksted, St Croix you can see lots of frogfish. Friday night I saw a red, a gray and a yellow, along with 3 seahorses. Take a look at my IG for their pics.

Attachments

• 1661115293007.jpeg
    1661115293007.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 53
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom