St Thomas or St Lucia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For 1 or 2 days of diving, no. If you were doing an entire week of diving, yeah, would probably not hold up. There are enough sites to make it worth while (see the ones I mentioned) for a day trip or two. There is nothing wrong with St. Thomas, diving just isn't AMAZING like Cozumel or Belize--those are bucket list destination, St. Thomas is more of a "good" place to dive while family is on vacation type of location.

If you don't mind spending a little money and are staying for dinner in St. Thomas you MUST go to Oceana. It is near downtown where the Admiralty dock is located. They are a seafood and steakhouse and everything was fantastic. Take a look on trip advisor, 600 reviews and 4.5 stars

Oceana, Frenchtown - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Thanks for the insight! Wish we were going to be in town for dinner, but the ship leaves at 5:00. I'll put the Oceana in my notes for a future trip though!

Speaking for St Thomas, I won't say you will be disappointed, but don't expect it to be the same by any means. The visability will not be like Cozumel or Roatan. Water temps still in the 80's but will be a little cooler in January. Depending on when your ship arrives, you could take a cab to Red Hook Dive Center on the East End and get in a two tank dive. They reliably dive every day and have excellent crew and gear if you need to rent. Check out their webpage. redhookdivecenter.com.

If you are planning to dive wrecks, check with Duane at Admiralty. The Wit Shoal isn't done very often now as part of it is collapsed. Winter in St Thomas brings currents that make some dive sites too rough. Check with each dive operator to see if they can offer what you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom