St. Thomas Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregonkid

New
Reaction score
Just joined today. I'm heading to St. Thomas on a family vacation in November. Any suggestions on good dive organizations to hook up with? I've only got a day or two so I want to know where I can get the most for my time and money. Thanks in advance.

Oregonkid,

First, welcome to SB. You will find very helpful people here with loads of information.

I used to own a place on St. Thomas and my son was a dive instructor at several of the shops on the island. One of the best recognized is Chris Sawyers (www.sawyerdive.vi). They run a good operation and go to some of the best dive sites.

However, my favorite shop is Blue Island Divers (www.blueislanddivers.com/). They are a small shop that visit sites that are not on the beaten path. These sites are not for novice divers. All intermediate and advanced dives. The scenery is awesome with loads of life.

Whatever you decide, I am sure that you will enjoy the dives.
Have a wonderful holiday.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

oregonkid:
Just joined today. I'm heading to St. Thomas on a family vacation in November. Any suggestions on good dive organizations to hook up with? I've only got a day or two so I want to know where I can get the most for my time and money. Thanks in advance.

Ive been to St Thomas twice, and dove with Chris Sawyer each time. I liked them enough that I went back a second time. Only down side is that there were no rinse tanks for cameras. Friendliest dive crew Ive encountered, very knowledgeable, and excellent service. Rental equipment was very well maintained, you can use their rental regulators with confidence. You have the option of putting on your gear at the dive platform, and removing it in the water before reboarding, great for people with bad backs. They are very safety conscious and keep a very close eye on all divers. You wont be able to go off on your own, which can be annoying if your an advanced diver or photographer. Highly recommend the wreck of the Rhone trip, which goes out to the BVI. Some photos are at http://www.pbase.com/elif/virgin_islands_underwater

Ditto on Sawyer ops.....

Also...Coki beach...(shore dive) is a 5 minute gear drag away from Sawyer's.

Eli:
Ive been to St Thomas twice, and dove with Chris Sawyer each time. I liked them enough that I went back a second time. Only down side is that there were no rinse tanks for cameras. Friendliest dive crew Ive encountered, very knowledgeable, and excellent service. Rental equipment was very well maintained, you can use their rental regulators with confidence. You have the option of putting on your gear at the dive platform, and removing it in the water before reboarding, great for people with bad backs. They are very safety conscious and keep a very close eye on all divers. You wont be able to go off on your own, which can be annoying if your an advanced diver or photographer. Highly recommend the wreck of the Rhone trip, which goes out to the BVI. Some photos are at http://www.pbase.com/elif/virgin_islands_underwater

I live on St. Thomas and got certified through Chris Sawyer http://www.sawyerdive.vi. I have been out with them on many dives. The only downside I have seen is the 'guided tour' aspect of the dives. They usually do two dives in the morning and one dive (sometimes two) in the afternoon. On wednesday's they do a single tank night dive which is a lot of fun!

I am not sure why they didn't have a dunk tank for your cameras, but every dive that I have been on with them, they have had at least one if not two buckets of fresh water at the stern. They also have a hose with a shower head at the stern to rinse yourself and equipment off with after the dive.

Finally, there is also a large dunk tank and fresh water hose at the rear of the dive shop for use when you get back.

The trip to the Rhone goes out every Friday. This is actually a two dive trip. They supply lunch and take care of all the customs work for you. The trip can often fill up early, so if you want to do this one, reserve your spot ahead of time!

Tell your family you need a lot more time!!
:D

Ditto on the Chris Sawyer Dive op. I was with them in December and was impressed with the op. They run out Red Hook which is about a half hour east of the main port at Charlotte Amalie. By the way welcome to Scubaboard!

Another vote for Chris Sawyer. I went out with them a year ago on the Rhone trip. It was a great dive. My wife also took a Discover Scuba class with them. I was impressed by the instructor and how much time he took with her to help her.

Need some info on Blue Island Divers. I've been to the websites for Sawyers and Blue. The difference in cost for a two tank dive with rental equipment is $26.00 US. While it may not seem like a lot, I will be paying for three people, and that adds up. Is Sawyer worth $81 per day

oregonkid:

has NITROX now! Yippie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom