St. Martin and Saba report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.....thanks guys,
Saba is around the corner for me but I never went there. When I get back from St. Lucia I'll check out Saba for sure.
If it wasn't for my employer I would be with a tank on my back 24/7 :wink:

just got back from saba and although this thread is not the freshest anymore wanted to quickly add my impressions in case someone does a search in the future. particularly i would like to temper expectations that may be a little too enthusiastic based on other observations in this thread. saba is nice, no doubt. the island is pretty and clean but there is not much to do except dive, eat, sleep. no beach. hiking is possible and could be interesting but does not fit in a 3 dives per day schedule. as far as diving, it is not the best i have done in the caribbean but you will probably not be disappointed if you compare it to other caribbean destinations. however, it is definitely not in the same league with places like the galapagos, cocos (although it looks similar), fiji...

Doc,

I am heading to St. Maarten in a few weeks. What was the conditions like? Also, who did you dive with on Saba? I have dove St. Maarten twice and finally think I will make the trip over to Saba this year.

Any advice , oh guru of the caribbean?

As I said in an earlier thread, IMHO, Saba was my favorite Caribbean destination. Sea Saba is a first rate dive operator and Juliana's was charming. Try to get "Orchid Cottage" at Juliana's if it's available, a 2 BR, way funky but totally cool indoor/outdoor bathroom (hard to explain it, but I will be happy to do so for anyone interested) a full kitchen, a private garden, and a private porch/balcony that looked out over the water and the mountain forestry below the town of Windwardside.
I don't think its fair to compare Caribbean diving to places in the Pacific or Indonesia etc. Fiji, Sipaden, Palau, Indonesia....
it's just not useful to use the same scale for comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom