St Maarten, Saba & Anguilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey-ho,

We're off in just a couple weeks to St Maarten and Anguilla for our honeymoon...woohoo. I've read a fair amount in the forums about diving and dive shops and wanted to see if folks had recommendations on dive shops and/or must do sites.

St Maarten: We're staying at La Samanna and are planning to dive with Dive Adventures based on pricing and some recs-- do they seem reasonable? Also thought we would do Saba one day, any word on discounted air tix during the middle of the week? Do we need a separate dive shop in Saba, do we need a reservation there?

Anguilla: We were thinking of diving with Anguillan Divers- same reasoning as above.

All responses welcome!

Thx,
Seth

My sister just went to St. Maarten on her honeymoon and did her OW checkouts with Dive Safaris. She was in contact with both them and Dive Adventures before scheduling the dives and Dive Safaris was a lot more helpful. She had a great time with them. Small uncrowded boats and personal service. I can't comment on Dive Adventures trips. All I can say is I saw there e-mail responses to her inquiries and I wasn't impressed.

Must-do sites: Saba definitely. In St. Martin area Proselyte is the best-known, but Hens and Chickens or One Step Beyond seem to be considered the best sites when available (they can be choppy betimes...).

I did find one website with Anguilla dive sites but haven't found a lot of details abou them to specifically call out one over another aside from the archeological wreck site sounding interesting. See http://shoalbayscuba.ai/

Regarding operators: My wife and I are headed down early July and have contacted Dive Safaris, Dive Adventures, and Ocean Explorers on Sint Maarten. The following is our impressions as we plan things out - we've had no experience with any of them YET. There's also ScubaFun but they're more on the French side I believe and since we're staying over in the Simpson area we've concentrated on the 3 operators mentioned first.

All three have responded with detailed and courteous emails. All three have some adherents from past threads on this board. Of the three, my wife and I will probably dive with one or both of the first two, but mostly because they offer Nitrox. Dive Safaris also has a specific Shark Awareness Dive (pole feeding to draw them in).

I have to say I was most impressed by the policies and experience of LeRoy French at Ocean Explorers (they take out the smallest groups at max of 8, and their minimum diver number is ONE, so they'll never cancel on you), but they seem to have the highest prices and no Nitrox. Both Dive Adventures and Safari have max 12 (excluding the 'cruise ship' location of Dive Safaris perhaps, plus they have a smaller boat for 6 only) and say they'll cancel if a minimum isn't reached, but the summer is a high season for scuba and neither anticipated that to be a problem. Others have posted here recently that DA did take them out even when they were solo though, as even the guys running the op would rather dive than sit in the store.

Regarding Saba diving again my wife and I are swinging by there myself, so we've done some research and made some contacts but can't report on the follow through. We picked Saba Deep, but really all the operations on Saba are reputable. Dive Adventures says on their website they'll set up a ferry and dive package at Saba for you with one of the operators, but as you mention you're already looking into the airfare that might be a better option - fly over and just book with the local Saba operators themselves. I've seen the same posts you have about the discount fares in cash in person, and was told by the Saba Deep operators there should be a fare as low as $53 round trip available (which is cheaper than the Edge ferry!) which again indicates booking your own is probably cheaper than going for the package setup from St. Martin.

Good luck - please post your impressions when you get back of whoever you chose so we can all learn from it!!

RTRski

p.s. I get the feeling they all know each other on both islands. The guys at Saba Deep did recommend LeRoy @ Ocean Explorers to me, but also said 'whoever you dive with say hi for us'. Since they're all on friendly terms hopefully that means no one has any professional dispute with a particular operators practices, safety, etc. Then again, maybe being friends they wouldn't say so....

Seth,

First of all, I'm jealous because you're going to be in Anguilla. It has spectacular beaches, and amazing restaurants. If you're staying at La Semanna, can I assume that you're also at Cap Juluca?

I can't remember the dive op's name on Anguilla, but they're all pretty basic. The diving is not spectacular in Anguilla, but certainly worth getting wet for.

Saba, on the other hand, is nothing short of spectacular in many ways. I dove with Sea Saba and highly recommend them. They run a great operation. And the island is really something to see.

As for flights from St Martin, check, double check, and triple check your flights with Winair. I had a ticket in my hand for an 8am flight, and they told me that the flight didn't exist. Long story, but it cost me a fortune to dive that day.

Have a wonderful time!

Dove with Saba Deep 2 years ago and loved them, both of the Mike's (Big Mike and Little Mike) are great! Big Mike grabbed my hand during one safety stop and we waltzed underwater, took me a second to figure out what he wanted though :confused: If you want something other than an AL80 Saba Deep can accomodate you. If you ask another operator for a different tank they will also accomodate you but they borrow the tank you want from Saba Deep :)

There was a restaurant above Saba Deep and you could place your lunch order in the morning and the cooks would put it on the stove when they saw the boat coming to the dock. It was almost ready by the time you walked from the dock to the restaurant, how's that for service?

The flight to Saba is awesome! They have the shortest commercial runway in the world and both ends drop off of cliffs into the water. You ride in a STOL (short take-off and landing) aircraft that seats about 20 people. The best seat in the house is behind the co-pilot (right side of plane) in the 3rd or 4th row window seat. If you don't like planes and roller coasters better take the ferry :wink:
Ber :bunny:
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks this is a great start. So I think we'll probably go with Dive Adventures in St Martin since that is what hotel recommended and they are reasonably priced. Also sounds like Saba Deep is a sound choice. I did some quick checking on air fare through Win Air-- not a good site, but it can be found at www.fly-winair.com. Detroit-- indeed we are staying at Cap Juluca, we know the diving ain't the best but hey, might as well give it a shot and see what we can. I'll report back with full details and pictures! Thanks.

jpslim:
......... Detroit-- indeed we are staying at Cap Juluca,...........

You will never want to leave.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom