St. Croix:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
G

george142

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to St. Croix for a January trip. My research seems to find Frederikstead slightly more referenced for better dive experiences than Christiansted. Is it worthwhile splitting my stay to both areas?

Since my trip in 2017, a hurricane hit, some dive shop locations got reshuffled, N2TheBlue got a name change and new management, and I was told a zip line. That said, the general structure of the island has probably not changed much.

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

Christiansted is more modern and 'lively' looking; Frederiksted looks like a rather crumbling small town, more sedate. Both have their beautiful aspects and I think you could enjoy either. I did enjoy the Shallow Butler Bay Wrecks dive on a cruise stop, and the pier on my dedicated dive trip.

If you're staying a week, I think you'll want to try the north coast diving but also the Frederiksted Pier. It's not an extraordinarily long drive between Christiansted and Frederisksted; you could plan to stay at one, but dedicate 2 days to drive to and dive from the other.

The main consideration that might move me toward basing out of Frederiksted is if you were determined to do a lot of shore diving at the pier.

@george142

The drive between the two towns is about 45 minutes. If you have a week or less on the island, you might want to make one your home base and do a couple of day trips to the other. I was there in May 2021. There is still recovery needed from the hurricanes of 2017, both topside and the reef. I found the reefs in Frederiksted to be in bad shape, lots of dead coral, not many fish. But the pier is fantastic, both day and night! However, you cannot dive the pier when there's a cruise ship in port.

Christiansted has much better reef health, but January, I think, is a time when the Christmas winds blow out that side of the island.

Is it worthwhile splitting my stay to both areas?
If "splitting" your stay indicates physically staying in both locations that's not necessary. Pick a side and rent a car - the drive from one side of the island to the other isn't bad , as long as you're okay driving on the left side of the road. I prefer the west side, Fredericksted, as it is on the calmer water side of the island. The Pier is also very convenient to dive both day and night as a shore dive on your own or with a guide. Nep2une Scuba (formerly N2theBlue) is right by the pier - they have an excellent guide, Jenny Keith, who is good at finding the small stuff.

The main consideration that might move me toward basing out of Frederiksted is if you were determined to do a lot of shore diving at the pier.
Good call. My other reasons would be calmer water, reef and wrecks on this side, and there can be decent snorkeling if that is an interest. To get to Cane Bay (northwest side) by car for a wall dive - either boat or shore dive - is about a 30 minute drive. Christiansted (north side) is about a 35 minute drive and and has reef and some different topography - mini walls and submarine canyons in Salt River Bay. Would say that the Lost Dog Pub for pizza one evening is also a plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom